[gthomas] Crosstalk2

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31 10:05 AM
      Some of you might not know that the GThomas egroup was begun in December,
      1998, by a few members of an older (and unmoderated) scholarly egroup
      called 'Crosstalk'. Crosstalk has recently undergone a rebirth as a
      moderated group called 'Crosstalk2' (AKA 'XTalk'), located (as we are) at
      egroups.com. Some of you might want to also subscribe to this group, which
      is concerned with the more general issues of the Historical Jesus and
      Christian origins. There is occasional mention of GThomas there, among
      which is the following note I sent recently in response to Stephen Goranson:
      Stephen Goranson writes:
      > On 27 May Stevan Davies wrote, "Much less the Thomasine injunctions against
      > praying, fasting, giving alms and circumcision."
      >
      > I wonder if this was in part based on the Gospel of Thomas logion 6. If so,
      > I had read that a little differently.
      >
      > Here's a translation by Th. Lambdin:
      > (6) His disciples questioned Him and said to Him, "Do You want us to fast?
      > How shall we pray? Shall we give alms? What diet shall we observe?
      > [6B] Jesus said, "Do not tell lies, and do not do what you hate, for all
      > things are plain in the sight of Heaven. For nothing hidden will not become
      > manifest, and nothing covered will remain without being uncovered.
      >
      > This text (whatever its source) reminds me--not of a list of
      > injunctions but--of the self-censoring, reflexive, delightful, and
      > brilliant answer about giving to God what is God's. Or stories of Buddha
      > teaching whatever is efficacious. Or an advaita vedanta guru asking "who
      > are you?"

      Actually, 6B is a non sequitur. The three questions in 6A are answered in
      #14, and that is no doubt what Steve had in mind as far as a negative
      attitude toward fasting, praying, and giving alms is concerned:

      14a) If you fast, you will give rise to sin for yourselves;
      14b) and if you pray, you will be condemned;
      14c) and if you give alms, you will do harm to your spirits.

      BTW, the separation of question(s) and answer(s) between 6A and 14 is the
      only such case in GThom.

      (On circumcision, see #53).