[gthomas] GTh and patristic writings

  • 110364.2445@compuserve.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 1999
      Hello, my name is Nikolaus Ebbinghaus
      start with a question concerning GTH 2:

      2) Jesus said, "Let him who seeks continue seeking until he finds. When he finds, he will become troubled. When he becomes troubled, he will be astonished, and he will rule over the All."

      This seems to be very similar to the Gospel of the Hebrews quoted sveral times by Clement:

      Gospel according to the Hebrews (in Clement of Alexandria, Miscellanies II.9.45)--He who has marveled shall reign, and he who has reigned shall rest. He who seeks will not give up until he finds; and having found, he will marvel; and having marveled, he will reign, and having reigned he will rest, Ibid. V.14.96.

      or:

      Clement, Stromateis 2.9.45.5)

      As also it stands written in the Gospel of the Hebrews: He that marvels shall reign, and he that has reigned shall rest.

      or:

      To Matt. 7:7 cf. Gospel according to the Hebrews (in Clement of Alexandria, Miscellanies V.14.96); also cf. Oxyrhynchus Papyrus 654, Logion 1: "He who seeks will not give up until he finds; and having found, he will marvel; and having marveled, he will reign; and having reigned, he will rest."

      There is also a quiet interesting word in Jerome :

      The Gospel also which is called the Gospel according to the Hebrews, and which I have recently translated into Greek and Latin and which also Origenoften makes use of, after the account of the resurrection of the Saviour says, "but the Lord, after he had given his grave clothes to the servant of the
      priest, appeared to James ...

      This quotation refers to the leadership of James which is also acknowledged in GTh 12:

      12) The disciples said to Jesus, "We know that You will depart from us. Who is to be our leader?" Jesus said to them, "Wherever you are, you are to go to James the righteous, for whose sake heaven and earth came into being."

      So if we consider the Gospel of the Hebrews to be the predecessor of the Gospel of Matthew then must we not regard these similarities as proof for the priority of GTh? (At least we could assume that the sayings 2 and 12 derive from a tradition older than the canonical gospel).

      Or is there anybody with a different opinion?

      Nikolaus