[gthomas] Three against Two (#16)

    Message 1 of 1 , May 27 11:27 PM
      I've long puzzled over the second part of GTh logion 16:

      > For five will come to be in a house;
      > three will come to be against two, and two against three;
      > the Father against the Son, and the Son against the Father;
      > And they will stand as a single one.

      For reasons which I needn't go into here, the question I was concerned with
      is this: what symbol could represent "three against two, and two against
      three" in such a way that that same symbol could also represent "five ...
      in a house"? After all, if you've got a 3-2-3 pattern, you've got eight
      things, not five.

      The answer occurred to me this evening, and in retrospect it seems quite
      simple: the symbol in question could be this:

      X X
      X X

      When the middle 'X' is thought of as being joined with the top pair, you've
      got "three against two" (from top to bottom); when it's thought of as being
      joined with the bottom pair, you've got "two against three" (again from top
      to bottom). In either case, the symbol can be thought of as a "house"
      composed of five objects.

      The symbol in question is, of course, the Greek letter 'chi' - the first
      letter of 'XRISTOS'. As to how the notions of "Father" and "Son" fit with
      this symbol, I'm not sure, unless the middle object represents the
      "Father", and he has not one son, but two (Judas & Thomas? = good and
      evil?). This would conform with the view I've long held that both Judas and
      Thomas were fictional symbolic characters, rather than real persons - which
      would mean that the number of apostles was 10, not 12. (And, of course, by
      coincidence or not, 'chi' is 10 in the Roman number system.)

      I know, I know, this is all weird and bizarre - and I expect to be told (as
      I have been before) that I'm on the wrong track entirely. But if - as I
      believe - GThom was intended to be rearranged, my bet is that one couldn't
      go too far wrong by searching not only for pairs of sayings, but for
      opposing sets of pairs, to serve as the basis of "chi-patterns". This may
      be the way in which "the bubbling spring" was "measured".

      Mike
      The Coptic GThomas, saying-by-saying