[gthomas] Gospel of Thomas 19

  • Roger Banks
    Message 1 of 2 , May 26, 1999
      Hi:

      I joined this group to learn more about the Gospel of Thomas. In my
      reading, I came across #19:

      19 Jesus said, "Congratulations to the one who came into being before
      coming into being.

      If you become my disciples and pay attention to my sayings, these stones
      will serve you.

      For there are five trees in Paradise for you; they do not change, summer or
      winter, and their leaves do not fall. Whoever
      knows them will not taste death."

      What are the "five trees in Paradise" which Jesus makes reference to in #19?

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Roger Banks
      rbanks@...

    • Tord Svenson
      Message 2 of 2 , May 26, 1999
        At 04:31 PM 5/26/99 -0400, Roger Banks wrote:
        ------ snip --------

        >For there are five trees in Paradise for you; they do not change, summer or
        >winter, and their leaves do not fall. Whoever
        >knows them will not taste death."
        >
        >What are the "five trees in Paradise" which Jesus makes reference to in #19?
        >
        >Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        >Roger Banks
        >rbanks@...

        We had some discussion concerning the five trees on the GOT list ( a
        general discussion list that spun out of gthomas last winter.) Here is a
        portion of a post I wrote --perhaps it will help.