[gthomas] Re: Thomas 79 // Luke 11.27-28

    Message 1 of 25 , May 18, 1999
      >(perhaps Mike would like to look this up on his new CD?)--Mark G.

      Easy enough to look up, Mark - difficult to transliterate (I wonder if a
      Coptic font can be sent and received via e-mail?) I've tried to reproduce
      the passages under discussion (below), though there are still some
      uncertain spots in the English, and the transliteration is spotty, so it's
      only suitable for rough work. WRT the immediate point at issue (TIS), the
      Coptic is 'AU', which = A + OU (the 'A' indicating past tense for the verb
      'FI'). Other than that, some differences in Coptic wording are due to
      differences in dialect, others not (esp. GThom's 'LOGOC' vs Coptic-Luke's
      'WAJE'). Hope this is useful. --Mike

      Luke 11.27:
      Lk: AS.Wwpe De 2M.p.TReF.je NAeI
      It-happened, however, as-he-was-saying these-things,
      Lk: AU.S2IMe.FI 2PA=S eBOL 2M.p.MHHWe peXA=S NA=F je
      a-woman-took herself out(of)the-crowd. Said-she to-him this:

      Th: peXe.OU.S2IMe NA=F 2M.p.MHHWe je
      Said-a-woman to-him in-the-crowd this:
      Lk: NAeIAT=S N.thH eNTAS.FI 2ARO=S
      Blest-is-she, the-belly which-she-bore under-her,

      Th: NeeIAT=S N.th2H NTA2.FI 2ARO=K
      Blest-is-she, the-belly which-bore under-you,
      Lk: MN.Ne.KeIBe NAeI eNTAK.jI M.MOOU
      &the-breasts, those which-you-took (them).

      Th: AYw N.KIBe eNTA2.SANOUW=K
      and the-breasts which-nourished-you.
      Luke 11.28:
      Lk: NTO=F De peJA=F je
      (As-for)him, however, said-he this:

      Th: peJA=F NA=S je
      Said-he to-her this:
      Lk: NAeIAT=OU N.2OUO N.NeT.SwTM e.p.WAje
      Blest-are-they more those-who-listen to-the-word

      Th: NeeIAT=OU N.NeNTA.SwTM A.p.LOGOS
      Blest-are-they who-have-listened to-the-Word
      Lk: M.p.NOUTe eT.ARe2 eRO=F
      of(the)God who-watches over-him.

      Th: M.p.eIwT AY-ARe2 eRO=F 2N.OU.Me
      of-the-Father; they-watched over-him truly.
      Luke 23.29:
      Lk: OUN.2eN.2OOU N.2OU NSe.JOOS N.2HT=OY je
      There-are-days &they-say among-them this:

      Th: OUN.2eN.2OOU GAR NA.Wwpe NTeTN.jOOS je
      (For)There-are-days (-) will-come, &you'll-say this:
      Lk: NAeIAT=OY N.NA.6RHN NeM N.2H ete MpOU.MISe
      Blest-they the-barren, and the-bellies which don't-bear,

      Th: NeeIAT=S N.thH TAeI eTe-MpS.w
      Blest-she, the-belly, the-one which-doesn't-conceive
      Lk: Nem Ne.KeIBe ete MpOU.TSeNKO
      and the-breasts which don't-give-milk.

      Th: AYw N.KIBe NAeI eMpOY.Ti.eRwTe
      and the-breasts, those which-don't-give-milk.

      Message 2 of 25 , May 19, 1999
        At 12:39 PM 05/11/99 +0100, Jacob Knee wrote:
        >I thought folks might be interested to know that Brill is offering 316 of
        >its titles at very reduced prices including:

        Unfortunately, the Brill site (http://www.brill.nl) lists only 107 of the
        316 sale titles. The other sale titles (including the Nag Hammadi stuff
        that Jacob mentioned) are apparently available only thru the catalogue.
        I've ordered one, and anyone else wishing to do so can contact Wilma de
        Weert <WEERT@...>. Be sure to give your mailing address.

        Message 3 of 25 , May 26, 1999
          Jacob mentioned one of the titles available in the Brill Millennium sale.
          Here's a more complete list:

          Facsimile editions:
          Vol. 1 (introduction)
          Vols 2-11: all except vol. 5 (codex IV), vol. 9 (Codex VIII),
          and vol. 11 (Codices XI-XIII)
          Vol. 12 (cartonnage)

          Critical editions:
          Codex I - Attridge
          Codex II(2-7) & POxy fragments - Layton - sine qua non for Thomas studies
          Codices V(2-5) & VI - Parrott
          Codices IX & X - Pearson

          Again, these titles are NOT listed as sale items on the Brill website
          (http://www.brill.nl), but can be ordered via catalogue, available from
          Wilma de Weert <WEERT@...>. The price is $45 each, which is absolutely
          a steal, given Brill's normally-exorbitant pricing policy. The sale lasts
          until August 31st, and is on a "first come, first serve" basis, while
          supply lasts.

          Mike
          ------------------------------------
          The Coptic GThomas, saying-by-saying

        • skirl@dds.nl
          Message 4 of 25 , May 26, 1999
            Thanks very much, Jacob & Mike, for bringing Brill's
            Millennium Offer to our attention. I saved $350 buying two
            books! I mentioned our discussion list to the Boston
            customer services people, they're very helpful and can be
            reached at 1-800-962-4406.

            Sytze

            Gospel of Thomas Bibliography @
            http://huizen.dds.nl/~skirl/