[gthomas] Re: Ramblings of a Heretic....

  • Jim Bauer
    Message 1 of 4 , May 14, 1999
      On Fri, 14 May 1999, Jack Kilmon wrote:

      > Khrysha wrote:
      > >
      > > > Several clergy I have talked to recently have insisted the GTh is
      > > gnostic and therefore heretical.
      > >
      > > The clergy have always 'stuck to the book', or rather their
      > > interpretation, as a rule. So they would really HAVE to say that
      > > these sayings are Heretical. In my experience, the church's
      > > definition of Heresy is something which perhaps they should redefine
      > > in this day and age. I mean, the heresy of their hipocracy is more
      > > painful to the believers of Christ, and the church itself.
      > A new definition of heresy would be good. There are only
      > about 21,000 different and disparate forms of Christianity
      > today. First we have to decide on the "orthodox" form so
      > we can call everyone else heretics. Let's revive the
      > Thomasine community. Now...that might be an interesting
      > topic. What is everyone's view concerning the Thomasine
      > community?

      Probably a bunch of Jesus freaks, including both "orthodox" and
      "gnostics," who went around collecting supposed sayings of Jesus, mainly
      from verbal transmission.

      How does THE ACTS OF THOMAS and THE BOOK OF THOMAS THE CONTENDER fit into
      the picture? And what about the Thomasine community currently in India?