[gthomas] Re: King James? bar Joseph chutzpah

  • Jim Bauer
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 1999
      On Thu, 6 May 1999, Jon Peter wrote:

      > Checking a few other places in NHC, 'Heaven (or sky) and earth' is used in
      > the most obvious sense as 'the Cosmos', and also, in another Thomas saying
      > (91) 'h & e' referrs to the sign-system beliefs of astral religion, i.e.,
      > 'as above, so below,' celestial events paralleled on earth.

      "As above, so below" is Hermetic in nature, ancestral of alchemy and even,
      in the case of Newtonian alchemy, what led him to believe that gravity
      affects things on the earth and sky, both. As Jung says, "We are moving
      thru the dark waters where gnosis is in fact rooted. The message of
      Christianity is gnosis and the unconscious compensation is gnosis to a
      still higher degree." This is the most profound thing the man ever said.
      Yet many gnostic scholars are unaware of alchemy, a lot of historians of
      science are unfamiliar with gnostic texts, &c.

      Of course, neither Jesus nor the author of Thomas were aware of alchemy,
      but this particular variant on "earth and sky" remains archetypal.