[gthomas] Re: The Big Fish (a sign?)

  • Beta David
    Message 1 of 4 , May 6, 1999
      Re: The Big Fish (a sign?)
      Jim Bauer

      Dear Jim,

      The example you sited Re: prophecy

      >the logion "Blessed is the lion (...)
      >and cursed is the man (...)

      --is (prophetically speaking) relevant, I think. I'm curious if you think
      this text speaks to the dating
      question in any way - I think this (more later).

      Point:

      Gnostics were `not` noted, particularly, for ascribing to prophecy of the
      doomsdayish sort (and this
      is where I think your commentary is very correct), but that said, I'll
      follow up with an oddball point:

      A time ago I happened upon some Coptic fishing charms (or enchantments) and
      was struck by the
      prophecy in them.

      Generally they go something like: "Here fishy fishy come into my net [subtle
      evocation of egyptian
      gods within christian archetypes]. Then the cardinal points are summoned;
      with some procedural
      stuff tacked on at the end.

      These charms were obviously not theological; actually quite common, yet the
      images; especially
      concerning appeals within specific geography, (i.e. fish, here, now) caused
      me to think of the end
      result of Thomas' saying. Especially as, in Thomas, we see the `wise`
      fisherman having a selection to
      choose from.

      Of course there's a deeper significance, as you point out, but *on the
      surface* I'm struck by the
      purpose of prophesy in general (bringing something or causing something);
      yet in this Gnostic
      framework, where, like I said in my note, the sower is so utterly prominent,
      prior.

      A canonical reading of Matthew does reveal a good deal of prophecy following
      the sower and I
      can't help wondering about the `stilling of the storm` in other books
      either.

      There's a regular poster to this list who is up on relevant politics which I
      think are pertinent to the
      prophecy question. Perhaps he'll chime in - I'll consider sacrament.

      Cheers, Beta David
      betadavid (at) hotmail
      http://bigfoot.com/~betadavid

      PS: (again) I'm unaware if the Q-folks have an *exact target year in mind*
      for their document. I
      have been unable to find any info about this. If ANYONE has pertinent info.
      I'd appreciate them
      letting me know.

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/gthomas
    • Beta David
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 1999
        Re: The Big Fish (a sign?)
        Jim Bauer (a follow up to this morning's post)

        Dear Jim,

        >And could "eating" have something to do with communion

        My view on the sacrament are... well they aren't very religious. I tend to
        look at the question in
        historical terms; which causes me to see oft portrayed events somewhat
        differently than are
        promoted to us. I think without a context or a date of some sort the
        "eating" business doesn't say *as
        much* as it might; presupposing we could ascertain a date and say, "Well,
        obviously under these
        criteria we have a general meaning..."

        I don't mean to detract from the mysticism - however anyone perceives this
        or not - but I believe the
        sacrament could mean something in 100 Assyria but something else again in
        Egypt.

        I think there's a definitive answer; in this case especially. I mean,
        really, the sacrament is something
        that deserves specificity of the highest order. Don't think I take it
        lightly. "Interpolation" (or not)
        depends on time, really, but I lean this way to a degree, for sure.

        This fish business is a prime example; owing its proximity to the sower
        (which in Thomas continually
        `amazes` me). For example: Something not mentioned, Re `fish` --that is,
        `the (potential) boat`
        which I estimate is a possibility if we're talking fishing or sowing or
        prophecy for that matter. `Needs
        to be contemplated.

        There's a cultural underpinning to all this is what I'm saying and if we're
        awash in a 100-year wake
        then... 'Tell you what - you put a year on that assertion and I'll take a
        guess. If I put a year on it,
        well...

        Have a good weekend Jim.

        Beta David
        betadavid (at) hotmail.com
        http://bigfoot.com/~betadavid

        PS. But do - and I'll give it a whirl.

        STORY VALUE: Young unmarried women (maidens), traditionally, `were` virgins.

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/gthomas