[gthomas] Re: Dating Thomas 114

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 2 , May 4 7:20 AM
      Daniel Grolin wrote:

      > > Since I am not subscribed to this list please cc your replies to me. <
      >
      > Dear Gthomas-readers,
      >
      > I am interested in knowing if there is anyway of dating Thomas 114. Also
      > could it be said to be Gnostic (i.e. presumes Gnostic mythology)?

      I think #114 goes back to a late Petrine tradition utilized by the
      gnostic Thomas
      community. The "making themselves male" thingy may have been an
      "orphan" saying
      that was bouncing about. It could be Yeshuine in the idiomatic context
      that had
      nothing to do with an "anti-woman" stance. I would put my money on the
      middle of
      the 2nd century.

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon