[gthomas] Dating Thomas 114

  • Daniel Grolin
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 1999
      > Since I am not subscribed to this list please cc your replies to me. <

      Dear Gthomas-readers,

      I am interested in knowing if there is anyway of dating Thomas 114. Also
      could it be said to be Gnostic (i.e. presumes Gnostic mythology)?

      Regards,

      Daniel

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/gthomas
    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4, 1999
        Daniel Grolin wrote:

        > > Since I am not subscribed to this list please cc your replies to me. <
        >
        > Dear Gthomas-readers,
        >
        > I am interested in knowing if there is anyway of dating Thomas 114. Also
        > could it be said to be Gnostic (i.e. presumes Gnostic mythology)?

        I think #114 goes back to a late Petrine tradition utilized by the
        gnostic Thomas
        community. The "making themselves male" thingy may have been an
        "orphan" saying
        that was bouncing about. It could be Yeshuine in the idiomatic context
        that had
        nothing to do with an "anti-woman" stance. I would put my money on the
        middle of
        the 2nd century.

        Jack

        Jack Kilmon