[gthomas] Re: FW: KOG

  • Stevan Davies
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 1999
      Mats wrote:
      > >In logion 106 Jesus says: "When you make the two into one, you will become children of Adam..."
      > >Here we have a hint that the Kingdom may be likened to the Garden of Eden where Adam lived. So if we turn to the
      > first two chapters of Genesis I will point out an intriguing fact.
      > >There are actually two stories of creation, one in chapter 1 and a second in chapter 2. This may perhaps be
      > understood in this way: there actually were two creations. The first creation is the holy creation since one is the
      > number of unity and wholeness. God created man to his likeness, i.e. the people were of the same nature as God. He
      > created people out of spirit.
      > >But in the second creation God created man out of dirt. The number two is namely associated to corruption in some
      > way. Two is the number of division. Actually, during the middle ages, Satan was sometimes called 'Binarius' i.e.
      > number two.
      > >
      > >But, to me, the Garden of Eden (Paradise) seems to take part in both creations. The first creation seems to be
      > overlayed the second creation and Adam takes part in both the first and the second creation. Adam is made of both
      > natures. So here we have a spiritual creation and a profane creation and the Garden of Eden is the conjunction of
      > these.
      > >
      > >>From this we may better understand logion 106 where Jesus says that we must make the two into one and then
      > become the children of Adam. We must overlay the two creations so they become one and hence create a sort of
      > "Garden of Eden". Then we partake in the two creations just like Adam did in the beginning. Then we become
      > children of Adam. Accordingly, the Kingdom of God can be understood as this fusing of the two creations.
      > >
      > >It was actually logion 106 that made me look upon Genesis with fresh eyes (The Garden of Eden may be a
      > conjunction of the two creations). The sayings in the Thomas-gospel are obviously fruitful. Comments are welcome,
      > but please no ridicule.

      Well, how about this. I think you are right. In fact I published
      an essay in the Journal of Biblical Literature arguing much the
      same thing and I've posted it on the WWW.

      http://www.miseri.edu/davies/thomas/jblprot.htm

      In brief, I think Thomas does have in mind the two creations
      The first is still present and available for discovery both
      within people and outside of them.
      Thus it would indeed be the KOG and the Light etc.

      Steve