Lk 5:36-39, Thomas, and Marcion

  • David Inglis
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 17 12:31 PM

      Having thought I was just about finished looking into Marcion’s ‘Gospel of the Lord,’ [Mcg] I have (belatedly) realized that I need to look at the relationship between Mcg and Thomas in addition to Mcg and the synoptics, and my first order of business is Lk 5:36-39. Both Tertullian and Epiphanius refer to these verses in a way that makes it appear that Lk 5:36 came last. I had basically ignored this, but I just recently realized that not only does Thomas 47 also attest to this, but so does Adamantius, so (in my opinion) making it almost certain that this was also the case in Mcg. As I can see no reason why Marcion would alter the order of Lk 5:36-39, it looks to me as though this is an earlier variant of this text. If anyone cares to check out what I have written on this, it’s at the end of this https://sites.google.com/site/inglisonmarcion/Home/marcion/marcion-s-gospel-compared-verse-by-verse-with-luke/lk-5 page on my website. Comments, thoughts, corrections, etc. welcome.

      Also, if someone could point me at a good online Thomas – Luke parallel (preferably in English – I don’t want to have to learn Coptic first!) I would be much obliged.

      David Inglis, Lafayette, CA, 94549, USA

      https://sites.google.com/site/inglisonmarcion/Home

    • IanB
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 21 6:18 AM
        Hi David,

        This is one of the best parallels I'm aware of.

        http://www.utoronto.ca/religion/synopsis/

        Ian Brown
      • David Inglis
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 21 2:41 PM

          Thank you Ian. I’ve looked at this parallel before, but never really liked how it works. Anyway, I’m trying it again now, and I think it’s one of those things that improves as you get to know it better.

          David Inglis