Member Blogiversaries

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 3, 2013
      Don't blame me for the title word; I got it from Mark Goodacre, who
      celebrated his 10th on Sept 2nd:

      In what is hard to believe as a coincidence, Chris Skinner celebrates his
      4th anniversary on the very same day:

      We are pleased and honored to have both of these fine scholars among
      our membership.

      An upcoming anniversary: Sept 18 one year ago, the Jesus' Wife Fragment
      was introduced at the International Congress for Coptic Studies. No word
      has yet been heard about test results.

      MWG
    • E Bruce Brooks
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 3, 2013

        To: GThomas

        On: Jesus’ Wife Fragment

        From: Bruce

        Mike G had noted, of this fragment, “ No word has yet been heard about test results.”

        See further Biblical Archaeology Review, July/August 2013 (v39 #4) p16, for the latest Harvard stonewalling on the test results, and indeed, on the tests themselves.

        Bruce

        E Bruce Brooks

        Warring States Project

        University of Massachusetts at Amherst

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 3, 2013
          > See further Biblical Archaeology Review, July/August 2013 (v39 #4)
          p16, for the
          > latest Harvard stonewalling on the test results, and indeed, on the
          tests themselves.

          Well, OK, but for those who don't have access to BAR, could you furnish some
          pithy quotes? (Fair use?)

          For those wishing it, a digital subscription to BAR (which includes the next six
          bi-monthly issues + "all digital back issues") is available for $20 USD at:

          Observation: As I recall, Hershell Shanks, the editor of BAR, ridiculed skepticism
          about the fragment, at least early on (don't know about later). I thought at the time
          that this might have been an instinctive reaction to previous criticism of his positions
          on other questionable items, but I don't recall the details of those controversies.
          (Wasn't one of them the supposed Jesus family ossuary?)

          Mike Grondin
        • Dennis
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 4, 2013

            <Snip>

            Observation: As I recall, Hershell Shanks, the editor of BAR, ridiculed skepticism

            about the fragment, at least early on (don't know about later). I thought at the time

            that this might have been an instinctive reaction to previous criticism of his positions

            on other questionable items, but I don't recall the details of those controversies.

            (Wasn't one of them the supposed Jesus family ossuary?)

            Mike Grondin

            _

            Yes, he and Ben Witherington III wrote a book professing faith in the authenticity of the “ossuary of James.” I have it somewhere in the fiction section of my library.

            Dennis Dean Carpenter

            Dahlonega, Ga.

            _._,_.___

          • E Bruce Brooks
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 4, 2013

              To: GThomas

              On: Jesus Wife

              From: Bruce

              It has been suggested that I should more or less read BAR to the assembled cyberfaithful. I will read one headline, summarize the introduction, and quote entire one letter of the correspondence between Hershel [sic] Shanks and Kathryn Dodgson, Director of Communications, Office of Communications, Harvard Divinity School.

              Headline: Stop the Presses: Report of “Gospel of Jesus’ Wife” Due Out Mid-Summer

              Intro: Nothing has been heard of this fragment since the latest issue of HTR came out without Karen King’s article. Shanks: “So what’s been happening since the article was withdrawn? I thought I could find out. So I wrote to the director of communications at the Harvard Divinity School. The following exchange ensued. – HS.” The rest of the piece consists of the correspondence.

              Questions asked were: (1) company or companies that are doing the testing, (2) tests they are performing, or were asked to perform, and (3) date the report is due or expected. In sum, HDS did not answer any of these questions.

              Second letter from Shanks to Dodgson:

              Dear Kit,

              You did not answer any of my questions to which you obviously know the answers. Who is doing the testing, what are they doing, and when will they be finished? Are you refusing to answer?

              Is this the Dead Sea Scrolls all over again?

              All best,

              Hershel

              That should give an idea. But I have to wonder, how many theology schools have an Office of Communications? And how much of the art of communicating consists in not communicating?

              Bruce

              E Bruce Brooks
              Warring States Project

              University of Massachusetts at Amherst

            • Tom Hickcox
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 4, 2013
                On 9/4/2013 07:59, E Bruce Brooks wrote:

                That should give an idea. But I have to wonder, how many theology schools have an Office of Communications? And how much of the art of communicating consists in not communicating?

                The art of communicating is what to communicate and when.

                I suspect Harvard has decided it's better to answer no questions than all of them.  That's their business.  That we insist they communicate with us is our problem.

                I'm a little bit surprised nothing has leaked, if you want to put it that way, by word of mouth.

                Tom Hickcox
              • E Bruce Brooks
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 4, 2013

                  To: GThomas

                  On: Communication

                  From: Bruce

                  Tom Hickox wrote: “I suspect Harvard has decided it's better to answer no questions than all of them.  That's their business. “

                  I would comment: Perhaps not exclusively their business. If the fragment were Harvard’s property, and if its nature were of therefore interest to them alone, a strictly in-house matter of curiosity, and if nobody outside Harvard knew of its existence, that would be a fair statement of the position. But there is also a general scholarly (not to say, public) interest, of a perfectly valid sort, and it is indeed Harvard’s actions in the matter (Karen King called public attention to it, and a publication on the matter was promised) that have brought it into the public domain.

                  Once it is there, Harvard’s choices are not solely their own; the public has a valid interest in them: in what is known, and how much of that is being shared. On this, I think Hershel Shanks has taken the correct position.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 4, 2013
                    On 9/4/2013 09:13, E Bruce Brooks wrote:

                    Tom Hickox wrote: “I suspect Harvard has decided it's better to answer no questions than all of them.  That's their business. “

                    I would comment: Perhaps not exclusively their business. If the fragment were Harvard’s property, and if its nature were of therefore interest to them alone, a strictly in-house matter of curiosity, and if nobody outside Harvard knew of its existence, that would be a fair statement of the position. But there is also a general scholarly (not to say, public) interest, of a perfectly valid sort, and it is indeed Harvard’s actions in the matter (Karen King called public attention to it, and a publication on the matter was promised) that have brought it into the public domain.

                    Valid points, Bruce.  I was expressing my opinion.

                    I'm interested, too, but I really don't think Harvard is playing with us to generate more interest and help the bottom line as some institutions may.

                    I suspect they are trying to get their ducks in a row but their little rubber duckies keep getting flushed.

                    Again, my 2¢.  I doubt that I will do anything differently today because the information hasn't been released.

                    Tom Hickcox
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 4, 2013
                      [Bruce Brooks]:
                      > It has been suggested that I should more or less read BAR to the
                      assembled cyberfaithful.

                      It is standard practice here to provide material from a piece to support one's characterization
                      of it. You have now done so. Thank you.

                      MWG