Re: [GTh] On the Probability of Literacy

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 24, 2013
      It gets sticky, Tom. The Peshitta is a translation of the Greek New Testament into Syriac which is a late Eastern dialect while the dialect spoken by Jesus/Yeshua was Middle Western (Judean Aramaic). The Peshitta, therefore, is going to translate the same as the Greek NT.  Thomas is even more challenging for the Vox Iesu because it went from Judean Aramaic to Greek to possibly Syriac and then to Coptic.  I have sometimes been at odds with the philosophy of TC where the “doctrine” is to stick with the Greek manuscripts that are extant....at least for the sayings and aphorisms of Jesus. They left his lips in Aramaic, not Greek.  Aramaic is a very idiomatic language that has multiple meanings for a word. The Greek into which they were translated has different words for one meaning.  As a result there are Greek variants which is the bread and butter of the text critic.  Often these variants will distill to ONE word when back translated to Aramaic. For most purposes, the Nestle-Aland interlinear NA28 reflects the up to date hard work of TC.
      Best,
      Jack

      Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2013 4:53 PM
      Subject: Re: [GTh] On the Probability of Literacy

      Jack-

      Is this translation any good for somebody not an expert in Aramaic or Greek?

      The Peshitta Aramaic-English New Testament- an Interlinear Translation (6th edition)

      Regards,

      Tom

    • Scott Rhodes
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 25, 2013
        Hi Mike
        Just to let you know, I am getting these posts ok through the yahoo list. I have received both the original posts and your re-postings.

        As far as I can tell I've not missed any thing in the thread and don't see anything new in the "original message" clips at the bottom of each post.

        Scott

        On Aug 25, 2013, at 1:46 PM, "Mike Grondin" <mwgrondin@...> wrote:

        (Here is the last of four notes that were posted to our website Friday, but apparently
        not sent out via email, due to an apparent technical glitch at Yahoogroups. - MWG)

        Sent: Friday, August 23, 2013 10:16 PM

        "Did I go on too much?"

        Not to me. It was quite an experience for me to understand various sections in light of the cultue and remember how so many Ministers, including, misunderstood what was being said. I think you should write a commentary  from an aramaic perspective on a single book.

        Tom