RE: [GTh] Goings on of Interest (updated)

    Message 1 of 7 , May 8, 2013

      I neglected to mention the name of the new full professor: BILL ARNAL (sorry about that)

      Message 2 of 7 , May 8, 2013
        Thanks, Rick.

        And as long as Facebook is leaking onto the interwebs, you should also note that the amazing Chris Skinner, in addition to putting out another book, has also received early promotion to Associate Professor.

        cheers,
        Bill
        ______________________
        William Arnal
        University of Regina

        To: gthomas@yahoogroups.com
        From: mainewoodsmith@...
        Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 09:09:44 -0400
        Subject: RE: [GTh] Goings on of Interest (updated)

        I neglected to mention the name of the new full professor: BILL ARNAL (sorry about that)

        There are some things worthy of note relating to some of our group members:

        First, Chris Skinner's new book is out:
        _Characters and Characterization in the Gospel of John_
        Being a hardcover book it is a bit on the spendy side, but apparently an
        electronic version is also available for a very reasonable price. More here:
        http://www.bloomsbury.com/us/characters-and-characterization-in-the-gospel-o
        f-john-9780567259653/

        Not only that, but our co-moderator Judy Redman has a chapter in it titled,"
        Eyewitness Testimony and the Characters in the Fourth Gospel".

        Another item of note is that another of our co-moderators has been elevated
        (transfigured?) to full professorship at his institution!

        Congrats to all.

        Rick Hubbard

      • Christopher W. Skinner

          From: mainewoodsmith@...
          Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 09:09:44 -0400

          Message 4 of 7 , May 8, 2013
            Rick,

            So, would you believe that I have the ebook and am reading Judy's chapter. I even told Bloomsbery that I was a Pastor not a Professor and they still gave me the book.

            Tom Reynolds

            Message 5 of 7 , May 8, 2013

              Tom,

              I hope you enjoy reading my chapter as much as I enjoyed writing it. Pity it’s not about Thomas, so off-topic for this list. J

              I’m also very grateful to Chris for inviting me to make a contribution to the book. I’m looking forward to reading the other contributions.

              Judy Redman

              PhD Candidate

              Humanities and Social Sciences

              University of New England

              ARMIDALE NSW 2351

              Email: jredman2@...

              To: gthomas@yahoogroups.comFrom: mainewoodsmith@...: Wed, 8 May 2013 09:09:44 -0400Subject: RE: [GTh] Goings on of Interest (updated)

              Message 6 of 7 , May 8, 2013
                Judy-
                I have read your Chapter. What I found was your proper hermeneutics, specifically starting with the author's purpose and viewing it within the setting and culture of the time it was written, you were able to refute incorrect analysis.
                -Tom Reynolds

                Message 7 of 7 , May 23, 2013
                  All-

                  I have read the work by Skinner, Redman and others and found it excellent. In fact I gave it 5 stars in an Amazon review.

                  I was able to procure the work as a digital bookby simply calling the person indicated on the web site that Bruce posted and asking how I could purchase an electroniccopy. In fact I received it for free but it certainly is of sufficient quality that I would happily have paid the $25 for anelectronic copy.

                  The work is a study of the characters and characterization in the Gospel of John and traces how each major character isused to tell the story of Jesus and support the author's purpose in writing the Gospel.

                  What I think most would find most interesting is the difficulty in writing a non-fiction book that deals with historical figures if one has not actually undertaken such a project.

                  Naturally, I would have done some things differently (wouldn't we all), most specifically giving Judy's analysis of the effect of existing eyewitnesses on the limitations it places on authors dealing with a historical subject and would have preferred a more in depth comparison of the characters, Peter (Skinner does a great analysis of Peter) and John in terms of each's belief in Jesus and subsequent actions and roles. However, isn't what reading a work like this is all about, to understand what the authors present and gofurther?

                  Regards,
                  Tom Reynolds