Re: [GTh] Gnostic Gospels in Classical Music

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 15, 2013
      Hi Kayleen;

      This is intriguing information. Although what these composers are
      doing is somewhat perpendicular to my particular interests, I have
      always been curious about whether or not there is evidence of either a
      rhythmic or melodic structure to the Coptic Gospel of Thomas. I’ve
      puttered around a bit trying to quantify the syllabic features of the
      text, but have never really seriously engaged it. If you have even a
      meager understanding of Coptic, maybe you would want to take a look
      for yourself.

      Rick Hubbard

      On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Kayleen <kayleenasbo@...> wrote:
      > I thought it might interest the community to know that there is a plethora of musical productions referencing Gnostic texts that are arriving in concert halls right now.
      >
      > The Estonian composer Peeter Vahi has written an oratorio based on the Gospel of Mary Magdalene which is available on Amazon; David Evan Thomas' work, The First Apostle, had its debut in Texas this past fall; Joseph Rowe in Paris has written a song using the text Thunder Perfect Mind, and the opera The Gospel of Mary Magdalene by Mark Adamo will be premiered in San Francisco on June 19. This last is particularly interesting as it weaves together both canonical and Gnostic sources, and quotes heavily from Gospel of Thomas, Gospel of Philip, Pistis Sophia and Dialogue of the Savior.
      >
      > I am writing a dissertation on the topic of Mary Magdalene in Classical music from a Depth Psychological perspective. If anyone out there knows of more musical treatments of Gnostic texts, I would love to know!
      >
      > Kayleen Asbo
      > www.kayleenasbo.com
      >

      > ------------------------------------
      >
      > Gospel of Thomas Homepage: http://users.misericordia.edu/davies/thomas/Thomas.html
      > Coptic-English translation: http://www.gospel-thomas.net/x_transl.htm
      > Related Biblioblogs:
      > PEJE IESOUS (Chris Skinner) http://pejeiesous.com
      > Judy's Research Blog (Judy Redman) http://judyredman.wordpress.com
      > The Forbidden Gospels (April DeConick) http://forbiddengospels.blogspot.com

    • JamesFrankMcGrath
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 15, 2013
        Hi Kayleen! It isn't a Gospel, and so that is presumably why you didn't mention it. But even though you probably are aware of it, at least for the benefit of others I thought I'd mention Gustav Holst's "Hymn of Jesus" which is from the Acts of Thomas. Alan Hovhaness has set some of the Odes of Solomon, and further afield but perhaps still worth mentioning, Joaquin Rodrigo has a setting of some Qumran hymns.

        Thanks for sharing this fascinating project!

        Best wishes,

        James

        Dr. James F. McGrath
        Clarence L. Goodwin Chair in New Testament Language and Literature
        Department of Philosophy & Religion, Butler University
        4600 Sunset Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46208 USA

        http://blue.butler.edu/~jfmcgrat/
        http://www.patheos.com/blogs/exploringourmatrix/