Michael Bird on Goodacre & Skinner Books

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2013
      Interestingly, one can find the blogs of both James McGrath and Michael Bird on the
      service-provider patheos.com, which is divided into "channels" - McGrath being on
      the progressive channel, Bird on the evangelical. Well, Bird (hitherto known as a fan
      of Nicholas Perrin's views) has finally gotten around to posting a review of Mark
      Goodacre's Thomas book:

      As it turns out, Bird had first mentioned Goodacre's book in passing back on Sept. 26th,
      when he posted a note on Chris Skinner's Thomas book:

      Unfortunately, this latter item was posted at the heighth of the GJW controversy, so,
      although I got notice of it in Google Alerts at the time, I seem to have overlooked it
      in the heat of the furor. At any rate, both of the above items are worth perusing,
      though I'm puzzled by one Bird comment, viz.:

      "Probably one place I would disagree with Goodacre is in his claim that GThom
      does not attempt to displace the Synoptics. Given the polemic against the other
      disciples in GThom, I can’t help but think that GThom tries to discredit the Gospels
      associated with them."

      Actually, I don't recall any "polemic against the other [than Thomas] disciples in
      GThom". I think what Bird is alluding to is L13, under the apparent assumption
      (which some have argued) that the statements of Peter and Matthew were intended
      to be reflections on the gospels of Mark and Matthew. Fair enough, but so far from
      being "polemic" against disciples other than Thomas, L13 pales in comparison with the
      negative things that are said about the disciples in the canonical gospels. Should those
      passages, then, be taken as attempts to discredit gospels associated with the names of
      disciples other than their own? (This has been a bone of contention in the John-Thomas
      controversy, of course, but I don't mean to restrict the question to that one particular.)