Re: [GTh] Bob Schacht

  • Jordan Stratford
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2013
      This is indeed a loss.  I've appreciated greatly his insight.  He and his family are in my prayers.

      Jordan

      On 2013-01-01, at 7:37 AM, William Arnal wrote:

      Hi everyone (cross posted to crosstalk and gthomas):

      I hate to begin your year with bad news, but I discovered last night that our very own Bob Schacht has passed away. I do not know the precise details, but my impression is that it was at home, and relatively sudden.

      I think this is a great loss to all of us. Bob has been a HUGE on-line presence since the very beginning of crosstalk -- which means some of us have been talking to him about Christian origins for almost twenty years. Always civil, clear, on point, and firm in his arguments, and indefatigable in his commitment to conversation on these lists. I do not think I ever met Bob face to face in all this time, so for me, at least, this has been a relationship undertaken completely on-line, first via email lists, then facebook as well. Yet I find myself feeling like Bob was a friend of long-standing and substance, and I think my life, at least, is and will be diminished by his absence.

      best regards, all,
      Bill
      ______________________
      William Arnal
      University of Regina

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2013
        Like Bill, my online acquaintance with Bob Schacht goes back a long
        way - to Crosstalk, before the advent of GThomas - and to a time when
        I was just feeling my way into this field. I never met him personally, but
        Bob was one of those who were and are the lifeblood of e-lists and blogs
        - the steady and thoughtful contributor. In later years, as Crosstalk declined,
        Bob (an XTalk moderator) sent many a message to GThomas, and we were
        the better for it. He will be missed.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2013

          This is sad news to start out a new year. Bob so often found ways to ask questions other folks had not thought to ask or were simply not bold enough to do so. I’m gonna miss him.

          Rick Hubbard

          Like Bill, my online acquaintance with Bob Schacht goes back a long

          way - to Crosstalk, before the advent of GThomas - and to a time when

          I was just feeling my way into this field. I never met him personally, but

          Bob was one of those who were and are the lifeblood of e-lists and blogs

          - the steady and thoughtful contributor. In later years, as Crosstalk declined,

          Bob (an XTalk moderator) sent many a message to GThomas, and we were

          the better for it. He will be missed.

          Mike Grondin

        • Jack Kilmon
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2013
            I'm still a bit shaken but my condolences go to his family and his
            scholarship will be missed.

            Jack Kilmon
            Houston, TX

[...]

            List managers may be contacted directly at: