Bob Schacht

  • William Arnal
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2013

      Hi everyone (cross posted to crosstalk and gthomas):

      I hate to begin your year with bad news, but I discovered last night that our very own Bob Schacht has passed away. I do not know the precise details, but my impression is that it was at home, and relatively sudden.

      I think this is a great loss to all of us. Bob has been a HUGE on-line presence since the very beginning of crosstalk -- which means some of us have been talking to him about Christian origins for almost twenty years. Always civil, clear, on point, and firm in his arguments, and indefatigable in his commitment to conversation on these lists. I do not think I ever met Bob face to face in all this time, so for me, at least, this has been a relationship undertaken completely on-line, first via email lists, then facebook as well. Yet I find myself feeling like Bob was a friend of long-standing and substance, and I think my life, at least, is and will be diminished by his absence.

      best regards, all,
      Bill
      ______________________
      William Arnal
      University of Regina
    • Jordan Stratford
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2013
        This is indeed a loss.  I've appreciated greatly his insight.  He and his family are in my prayers.

        Jordan

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2013
          Like Bill, my online acquaintance with Bob Schacht goes back a long
          way - to Crosstalk, before the advent of GThomas - and to a time when
          I was just feeling my way into this field. I never met him personally, but
          Bob was one of those who were and are the lifeblood of e-lists and blogs
          - the steady and thoughtful contributor. In later years, as Crosstalk declined,
          Bob (an XTalk moderator) sent many a message to GThomas, and we were
          the better for it. He will be missed.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2013

            This is sad news to start out a new year. Bob so often found ways to ask questions other folks had not thought to ask or were simply not bold enough to do so. I’m gonna miss him.

            Rick Hubbard

            Like Bill, my online acquaintance with Bob Schacht goes back a long

            way - to Crosstalk, before the advent of GThomas - and to a time when

            I was just feeling my way into this field. I never met him personally, but

            Bob was one of those who were and are the lifeblood of e-lists and blogs

            - the steady and thoughtful contributor. In later years, as Crosstalk declined,

            Bob (an XTalk moderator) sent many a message to GThomas, and we were

            the better for it. He will be missed.

            Mike Grondin

          • Jack Kilmon
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 1, 2013
              I'm still a bit shaken but my condolences go to his family and his
              scholarship will be missed.

              Jack Kilmon
              Houston, TX

[...]

              List managers may be contacted directly at: