Skinner on Goodacre's Thomas Book

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2012
      Following is the bulk of Chris Skinner's blog entry today:

      > I have spent the past few weeks reading and digesting two books
      that
      > I am convinced need to be discussed in much greater detail
      both in the
      > blogosphere and in the classroom. The first of these is Mark
      Goodacre's
      href="http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Gospels-Thomass-Familiarity-Synoptics/dp/0802867480/ref=pd_sim_b_1" target=_blank>Thomas and the Gospels: The Case for Thomas's Familiarity with the Synoptics.
      style="COLOR: #2585b2; TEXT-DECORATION: underline" href="http://ntweblog.blogspot.com/" target=_blank>Mark's blog and listen to his podcasts know that
      > he relishes the role of "spoil sport," especially on issues that
      are taken for
      > granted within certain segments of academia. Well, he is at his
      spoil-sport-best
      > in this current book, taking on the canons (accepted in many
      quarters of North
      > American scholarship) that Thomas is early and
      independent of the canonical
      > tradition. What makes this book so good is the combination of
      Mark's erudition
      > and creativity, along with his knowledge of the Synoptic problem,
      utility in the
      > Greek synopsis, and skill in evaulating source-critical
      arguments. While I haven't
      > read everything that's ever been written on the Gospel of
      Thomas, I have recently
      > written a book on Thomas scholarship in which I
      attempted to explore the range
      > of scholarly opinion within contemporary research. That book
      required me to read
      > ....a lot. Against the backdrop of that (at times, painful)
      reality, I can tell you that
      > this is one of the most insightful and well-written books on
      the Gospel of Thomas
      that I have read. I will soon be posting an interview with Mark as I have with other
      Thomas scholars and I hope to find the time to do an
      in-depth review of his book.
      > For now, let me provide my endorsement and strongly suggest that,
      if you have
      > any interest in the gospel traditions, you get this book.

      A hearty second for Chris' evaluation from this corner. I'll just add that among
      the things that I liked about Mark's book was that he didn't let his case for
      dependence lead him down the fruitless path that other dependence-theorists
      have followed - viz., trying to ferret out hidden Gnostic meanings for the sayings
      (I have in mind here both early continental analysts and, more recently, a piece
      on L65 by John Meier - about which more anon). I look forward to Chris'
      review and interview with Mark.