Re: [GTh] Bernhard's New Essay on GJW

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 12, 2012
      On 12 November 2012 15:28, Mike Grondin <mwgrondin@...> wrote:

      > 1. It is evident that the papyrologists who initially examined the
      > fragment
      > were not well-versed in CGT. They spotted some similarities, but were
      > unaware of the extent of agreement. It was only when this became obvious
      > that the HTR article was delayed, and additional tests called for. Had the
      > Harvard people not thought that the forgery case was strong, I doubt if
      > this would have happened.

      Yes, it's clear from King's HTR article that she and the others had
      not realized the full extent of the borrowing from Coptic Thomas.
      This is not criticism of King or others -- I didn't spot it at first
      either; it was only after prolonged staring at it that it became
      clear. This is just the natural progress of scholarship -- sometimes
      it takes time and many pairs of eyes to see things that in the end are
      pretty clear.

      The breakthrough in Watson's piece was in realizing that the links
      were not simply those of the natural relationship of literary works to
      one another (as, e.g. intra-Synoptically or Thomas-Synoptics) but
      specifically in Coptic Thomas from Codex II and the Jesus' Wife
      Fragment.

      > 2. The dating of the papyrus is irrelevant. As you no doubt know, old
      > pieces of blank papyrus (or with faded writing) can be obtained. Even
      > ink consistent with antiquity can be produced. (What happened to that
      > scheduled ink-test, BTW?)

      Ian may be right that there has been carbon dating of the papyrus, but
      I have not seen reference to this. The ink test is still pending. The
      most recent statement I have seen on this is the recent Boston Globe
      article (which I'll blog shortly).

      Best wishes
      Mark
      --