Re: [GTh] Consistency and Accretion in Thomas

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2012
      [Bruce:]
      > How long, for comparison, is the Book of Obadiah? Or Haggai?

      It's hard to tell, but Haggai appears to be about twice as long as L1-12.
      Obadiah also appears to be longer, though by how much is hard to say.
      But Obadiah is a prophetic proclamation which has a compositional unity
      not apparent in L1-12. At the end of Obadiah, I would suggest that one
      doesn't find oneself asking "Is that all there is?" In any case, if that's the
      sole example of a short biblical text, your suggestion remains unlikely.

      [Bruce:]
      > I don’t think we are in a position to tell the ancients how to write,
      or how long.

      Really, this remark is irrelevant, beneath you, and best forgotten.

      [Bruce:]
      > A chapter of course can be any size. But I should think it unlikely
      that a first
      > chapter of a work written simultaneously would immediately begin
      its second
      > chapter by switching to a different sponsoring figure (James >
      Thomas), and
      > then compound the shift by placing another Thomas piece up top, at the
      head
      > of the whole work. That looks to me not like a continuation, but a
      reconsideration.

      On the other hand, the Prologue and L13 may be taken as framing for a segment.
      (Thinking in terms of "chapters" doesn't strike me as supported by the content.)

      Mike G.