RE: [GTh] Is There Really A Letter Missing From GJW Line 1?

  • William Arnal
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 21, 2012

      Mark G writes:

      >And of course Bill would have difficulty seeing a direct link between two strikingly similar texts!

      And of course Mark would have no difficulty seeing source dependence where there isn't any! I thinking I'm noticing an odd pattern here.

      Seriously, though, as to this point: I am NOT taking a position on either the authenticity of the fragment (MS is too strong a word) or on its source relationship to other texts. I'm NOT a defender of its authenticity. I just think people are jumping the gun here, and that at this stage it is a mistake to say that the absence (I won't say it's "missing") of N/M object-marker before PW--- is a grammatical error.

      >On the grammatical issue of the missing mu, the best study I've
      seen on it is in Leo Depuydt's report sent to HTR. He argues that it is a real blunder. Unfortunately, his study won't see the light of >day until Karen King's article is published, which now may be some way away.  If he is right, then of course the parallel between the fragment and Mike's interlinear becomes all the more striking.

      Now that's interesting -- I assume that Depuydt's comments are not generally available. But I take it that he DOES address/contest Layton's placement of "tina-" among double-object verbs? A point both King and Bernhard take as given? It would be kind of amazing -- I say this with awe at the world's weirdness, and not argumentatively -- if a point of Coptic grammar were to be clarified or REVISED as a result of a debate over whether a scrap of papyrus was forged or not. Best potential headline: "Jesus' Wife forces revision of Layton's Coptic Grammar."

      cheers,
      Bill
      ______________________
      William Arnal
      University of Regina

      To: gthomas@yahoogroups.com
      From: Goodacre@...
      Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 01:02:14 -0400
      Subject: Re: [GTh] Is There Really A Letter Missing From GJW Line 1?

      Interesting conversation.  And of course Bill would have difficulty seeing a direct link between two strikingly similar texts!

      I think that I am largely to blame for making a big deal of the typo in MIke's interlinear alongside its parallel in the Jesus Wife Fragment.  I do find it really striking.  Of course on its own it would not tell one much.  But as part of a cluster of remarkable parallels with Coptic Thomas from NHII, I think it's telling.

      Mark
      --
      Mark Goodacre
      Duke University