Re: [GTh] Mark Goodacre's new book

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 6, 2012
      On 5 October 2012 20:30, Judy Redman <jredman2@...> wrote:

      > I just got an email from Amazon telling me that the expected delivery date
      > for my pre-ordered copy of Mark’s new book on Thomas is 4-24 December. This
      > surprises me a great deal as I know that Mark now has copies. Has anyone
      > else already got theirs? If so, who did you order through? Mark, do you have
      > any info about this?

      Thanks for asking, Judy. It depends where you've ordered it from.
      Amazon.co.uk are shipping the British (SPCK) version, and I know that
      people have received their copies from there. In the USA, Eerdmans
      are shipping them out pretty speedily. Others seem to be shipping
      too. Amazon.com seems to be the slowest here; but they do now appear
      at last to be shipping copies out. Note: don't search for Thomas and
      the Gospels on Amazon.com. For some reason, it takes you to an import
      of the British version. This is the correct link:
      http://www.amazon.com/dp/0802867480 .

      Hope that helps! Thanks for your interest in the book.
      Mark

      --
      Mark Goodacre
      Duke University

      http://www.markgoodacre.org
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 6, 2012

        [Judy:] Mark says:
        Thanks for asking, Judy. It depends where you've ordered it from.
        Amazon.co.uk are shipping the British (SPCK) version, and I know that
        people have received their copies from there. In the USA, Eerdmans
        are shipping them out pretty speedily. Others seem to be shipping
        too. Amazon.com seems to be the slowest here; but they do now appear
        at last to be shipping copies out. Note: don't search for Thomas and
        the Gospels on Amazon.com. For some reason, it takes you to an import
        of the British version. This is the correct link:
        http://www.amazon.com/dp/0802867480 .

        [Judy:] Thanks, Mark. I actually ordered through Amazon.com, not Amazon.co.uk – Amazon in the US are the ones that gave me the December delivery date. Seeing I now know that others are shipping, I will see what other options I am offered and cancel the US order if I can find someone who will send it to me faster.

        Judy Redman
        PhD Candidate, School of Humanities
        University of New England
        Armidale 2351 Australia
        ph:  +61 2 6773 3401
        mob: 0437 044 579
        web:  http://judyredman.wordpress.com/
        email:  jredman2@...
        ,___

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 17, 2012

          An update:

          I went exploring and ordered a copy from Eerdmans – the publishers. Their list price was $39.00 – more than Amazon, but they (obviously) had it in stock. They asked me if I was a pastor or a student and when I selected pastor, I got a 20% discount and they don’t charge for postage, so the total cost of the book was $31.20, which was comparable to the cost from Amazon by the time I added the international postage. Yesterday (16 Oct) I got a snail mail letter with my invoice and the information that it had shipped on 8 Oct. Standard parcel post is significantly slower than airmail for letters, but I am confident it will arrive waaaaaay before the 5-24 December dates that Amazon was offering me.

          Altogether, I am very favourably impressed with Eerdmans and will almost certainly by direct from them in future when I want to buy books that they’ve published.

          Just thought other book-buyers might like to know.

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 17, 2012
              >>Delighted to hear about ordering successful ordering from Eerdmans, Judy. Sorry about the hassles with Amazon. They are now shipping out pretty quickly...<<

              Glad to hear things are speeding up, Mark. When more people have read it, perhaps we can discuss on the list.

              As you already know of course (and at the risk of shameless self-promotion to others), I wrote a blog review of it, mixed in with a retrospective on the Q book, as part of a larger series I'm doing this year. For any list-members who are interested:

              http://lorenrosson.blogspot.com/2012/10/retrospectivereview-q-thomas-and.html

              Though I happen to agree with most of Mark's case, I'm still chewing on the chapter on orality and literacy. But there's good meat in every chapter.
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 17, 2012

                Thanks, Mark.

                I am fairly sure that I had picked up the problem with the imported version when I did my original order. Amazon is not my favourite place to buy on line because I’ve had a number of glitches of various sorts with their orders – I use the Book Depository for preference, but they don’t seem to have your book at all at the moment.

                I am really looking forward to reading when it eventually arrives. One of the problems with living in Australia is that many books are ‘old news’ by the time I get my copy. J

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 17, 2012
                  On 17 October 2012 07:20, Loren <rossoiii@...> wrote:

                  > Glad to hear things are speeding up, Mark. When more people have read it,
                  > perhaps we can discuss on the list.

                  If people are interested to do so, I would be delighted to have that
                  discussion, bearing in mind of course that my workload, like everyone
                  else's, ebbs and flows.

                  > As you already know of course (and at the risk of shameless self-promotion
                  > to others), I wrote a blog review of it, mixed in with a retrospective on
                  > the Q book, as part of a larger series I'm doing this year. For any
                  > list-members who are interested:
                  >

                  > http://lorenrosson.blogspot.com/2012/10/retrospectivereview-q-thomas-and.html
                  >
                  > Though I happen to agree with most of Mark's case, I'm still chewing on
                  > the chapter on orality and literacy. But there's good meat in every chapter.

                  Thank you, Loren, for the very helpful and well-thought-through review
                  and comments.

                  Mark

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 17, 2012
                    Thanks for providing a link to your blog-post on Mark's book, Loren.
                    As I said in our recent correspondence, I had intended to post that
                    link as well as several others in a note I was drafting when the stuff hit
                    the fan on October 11th with Mark and Andrew's block-buster news on
                    GJW. Among the other links I didn't post were to a piece by Peter Head
                    on non-content questions about the fragment:

                    ... and some interesting short videos about papyrus preservation:

                    The timing of the release of Mark's book vis-a-vis his role in the
                    GJW controversy may cut both ways. On the one hand, the normal
                    publicity for a book-release was disrupted, but on the other hand
                    his name has been in the news, so that may help sales. Yesterday,
                    for example, this piece in the online New York Post:

                    Interestingly, while the above was all Mark, the following more-detailed
                    piece was pretty much all Andrew Bernhard:
                    "Online Sleuthing Casts Doubt on 'Gospel of Jesus' Wife'

                    Since this thread is about Mark's book, I'll stick with that. Like Judy,
                    I haven't yet got my copy. When we (and others) do, I'm sure there'll
                    be more discussion.