On the Coptic Word for 'Wife'

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2012
      I've been asked offlist to comment on the Coptic word for 'wife' in
      the King Fragment. I don't know an awful lot about it, but I'll report
      what I think I do know.

      The Coptic word in question is xime, (pronounced 'HEE-meh', I believe)
      which is clearly indicated to mean 'wife' in Lambdin's glossary (p.277 of
      Intro to Sahidic Coptic). It's closely related to sxime, which can mean
      'woman, wife, female' according to Lambdin. Where it gets even more
      confusing is in the plural. Lambdin shows xiome (which one would assume
      to be the plural of xime) as the plural of sxime, but doesn't list the form
      sxiome, which is sometimes used in GTh and GPh as the plural. The
      only thing that seems clear at this point in my investigations is that the
      form xime seems always to be used with a possessive ('my', 'his').

      Mike G.