Re: [GTh] The Schenk Translations

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 17, 2012
      I've located Craig Schenk. His home site is murple.net, although his
      Thomas material isn't linked from there. The Thomas material is at:

      This should be taken, then, as the latest version of the material that
      appears also on other web sites. I hope to have a conversation with
      Craig, either offlist or on, but he has not yet responded beyond the
      initial contact. Anyone else wishing to contact him can do so by using
      the mailto function available on both his main and Thomas pages.

      As it happens, I had just completed the creation of a file comparing
      Craig's English of the Greek fragments with that of Grenfell/Hunt.
      Checking against the many footnotes in Layton's translation of Coptic
      Thomas in The Gnostic Scriptures which refer to the Greek version of a
      saying, it became obvious that Craig had made use of them, although this
      basic procedure doesn't explain how Craig came up with the English of a
      few sayings where the Layton-Grenfell/Hunt combo doesn't seem to suffice.
      In any case, assuming as I do that Craig doesn't know Greek any better
      than I do, I don't think his work can be called a translation. But what to
      call it? A harmonization, perhaps? A redaction of Grenfell/Hunt?