Mark Goodacre's New Book

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2012
      As Mark G's new book (Thomas and the Gospels) moves toward its
      publication date of Oct 1st, he has posted an excerpt from pages 1-2:
      Confusingly, Amazon has two listings for the book (a paperback), one
      for $22.82, the other (with cover picture) for $26.23. Interestingly, the
      title on the cover is superimposed over an image of page 32 of Codex II,
      including the end and title of the Apocryphon of John. Presumably, Mark
      has a note inside explaining that. Anyway, looking forward to the book.

      Mike Grondin
    • Mark Goodacre
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2012
        Many thanks for the mention, Mike.  Eerdmans chose the cover.  It's true that it includes the end of the Apocryphon of John but it is also, as you know the first page of Thomas and so I rather like it, not least because the Incipit is mentioned a lot in the book.  Apologies for the confusing publication dates.  The first one you see listed is the American (Eerdmans) edition.  The second is the British (SPCK) edition, which will come out a little later, and has a different cover.  I will post a few excerpts in my blog in the coming weeks and hope also to begin a series of podcasts on the book.  Thanks again for your interest, Mark

        --
        Mark Goodacre
        Duke University

        http://www.markgoodacre.org

      • Mark Goodacre

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2012

            Ah, that explains the two listings (the one had no publisher indicated).
            I wonder, though, if the prices of the two editions remain different, would
            there be any reason to buy the more expensive one? As to the cover, I too
            like it, but I was thinking as I looked at it that the reader might naturally
            assume that the title of Ap.John that shows up right under the book title
            is in fact the title of Thomas.