Something Old, Something New

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2012
      Alerts to reputable Thomas material don't come often to my email, but today
      there were two. The "old" in question is a video that's been on YouTube since
      Sept 2009, but just came to attention today because it was reposted elsewhere.
      It's one of a series of 26 video lectures on NT History and Literature by one
      Dale B. Martin of Yale University. Notes indicate that these lectures are from
      a course called 'Introduction to New Testament', and the length of the video
      (50 minutes) bears that out. I haven't listened to it all the way through yet, but
      will be interested to find out if there's any gaffes. (I know it's hard to believe,
      but university professors sometimes blunder, too!)

      The "new" in question is an RBL review by Simon Gathercole of a new book by
      one John Horman, titled A Common Written Greek Source for Mark and Thomas.
      Given the hypothesis contained in its title, Horman's book is unlikely to find wide
      acceptance, so it's no surprise that Gathercole finds it unpersuasive. Nevertheless,
      he isn't overly critical, and the details may be of interest.