Delphic Influence?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2012
      At the request of Tim Staker, a new file has been posted to our Files Section:
      has been working on lately, titled "The Delphic Influence on the Gospel of
      Thomas". In it, Tim draws comparisons between Thomas sayings and oracles
      of the Pythian Priestess of Delphi in the following areas:

      1. "Know Yourself"
      2. "Turn the Stone"
      3. Symbolism of the Lion
      4. Killing the Assassin
      5. Doubling the Blessing
      6. Finding real value
      7. Honoring the Mother
      8. Contentment

      Tim has asked for feedback, and having read it over, I'll do my bit. The most
      questionable, I think, is #4. The Delphic oracle in question refers to killing a
      killer. But although the three Thomas sayings regarded as comparable to that
      oracle (Th60, 70, and 98) do talk about killing or being killed, in none of them
      is the person spoken of as possibly being killed him/herself a killer. Other than
      that, I'll leave it to others to comment.