Re: [GTh] Criticisms and the name 'Iesous'

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 23, 2012
      Re: textual criticism, "concerned with establishing the original text of a document"

      [Bob Schacht]:
      > IIRC, you've left out an important part of the concept of textual
      criticism: That is,
      > when they say "original," they MEAN original. That is, the
      manuscript is [?] own
      > physical self, not our transliterated version of the mss. What
      you're thinking of,
      > I think, is an idealized transliteration of the text. ... I
      am suggesting that you have
      > something different in mind than the textual critics usually
      mean by "original".

      Perhaps so, but your reasoning has me buffaloed*, Bob, since I wasn't thinking
      of "an idealized transliteration of the text", whatever that might be. I was simply
      thinking in terms of getting some idea of what the Greek or Syriac original of
      Thomas might have looked like, based on what was done to it in the Coptic version.
      Now that may not fall under the category of textual criticism, and if so, I'd like to
      know, but in any case, I don't see what difference it makes whether we represent
      the hypothetical contents of a missing original manuscript as source-language
      ligatures or transliteration.

      Mike Grondin
      (*clever allusion to "Buffalo Bob" Smith of Howdy Doody fame, for us oldsters :-)