Re: [GTh] Signs and Wonders vs. Wisdom

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 18, 2012
      [Bob Schacht:]
      > I don't have a searchable copy of GThomas, and I don't know if the Coptic words
      > for Signs and Wisdom are isomorphic with the Greek, but is there a way to add GThomas
      > to the summary above? One might begin with the suspicion that, because of the similarities
      > between the Synoptics and GThomas, that similarly, Thomas would be more interested in
      > "wisdom" and less interested in "signs". Is this true?

      If by 'signs and wonders' you mean specific actions performed by Jesus during his
      lifetime and theoretically publicly observable, I can't recall any in GTh at the moment.

      As to 'wisdom', the word 'sophia' doesn't appear in the Coptic version or the
      Greek fragments, but two Coptic words that are associated with 'wisdom' show
      up in sayings 8 (twice), 13, and 76 - none of which are extant in the Gk fragments.

      Mike Grondin
    • Bob Schacht
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 18, 2012
        At 09:18 PM 3/18/2012, Mike Grondin wrote:

        Thanks for your response.
        [Bob Schacht:]
        > I don't have a searchable copy of GThomas, and I don't know if the Coptic words
        > for Signs and Wisdom are isomorphic with the Greek, but is there a way to add GThomas
        > to the summary above? One might begin with the suspicion that, because of the similarities
        > between the Synoptics and GThomas, that similarly, Thomas would be more interested in
        > "wisdom" and less interested in "signs". Is this true?

        If by 'signs and wonders' you mean specific actions performed by Jesus during his
        lifetime and theoretically publicly observable, I can't recall any in GTh at the moment.

        Well, no, actually. All I meant by 'signs' (I did not ask about wonders) was if GThomas used the Greek word semeia or its Coptic equivalent.

        As to 'wisdom', the word 'sophia' doesn't appear in the Coptic version or the
        Greek fragments, but two Coptic words that are associated with 'wisdom' show
        up in sayings 8 (twice), 13, and 76 - none of which are extant in the Gk fragments.
        http://www.gospel-thomas.net/keywords/mind.htm

        In the Scholar's Version (in 'The Five Gospels'), the word used in saying 8 and 13 is translated as "wise." Saying 13 represents Jesus asking the disciples to "Compare me to something and tell me what I am like." One of the disciples calls him a "wise philosopher," according to that translation. Their translation of Saying 76 does not use the word "wise," but I will take their word "prudent" as reflecting the same Coptic antecedent. Their exegesis notes that "these admonitions were a standard item in the wisdom repertoire." (p. 515)

        I take it, then, that GThomas, like the Synoptics, but unlike GJohn, is interested somewhat in wisdom, but not signs.
        This appears to answer my question. Thanks for taking the time to send this report.

        When I started looking into this, I had no idea that the difference between the Synoptics (and now GTh) and GJohn would be so stark and absolute. I find this interesting.

        Bob Schacht
        Northern Arizona University