Simon Gathercole's new book

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 17, 2012

      I have started reading my copy of Simon Gathercole’s new book on Thomas: The Composition of the Gospel of Thomas – Original Language and Influences (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2012) and am finding it very interesting. He highlights a number of issues that I’ve also been thinking about recently and I’m finding it well written and thought-provoking. I’ve posted an outline of the content on my blog (see http://judyredman.wordpress.com/2012/03/18/simon-gathercole-the-composition-of-the-gospel-of-thomas/) and my current game plan is to blog on it as I read.

      It is unfortunately quite expensive – although I was able to buy it through Book Depository for AUD 67.24, significantly less than the list price. The upside of the price is that it’s in hardcover and printed on really nice-feeling paper.

      Regards

      Judy Redman
      PhD Candidate, School of Humanities
      University of New England
      Armidale 2351 Australia
      ph:  +61 2 6773 3401
      mob: 0437 044 579
      web:  http://judyredman.wordpress.com/
      email:  jredman2@...

    • Ian Brown
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 17, 2012
        Judy,

        thanks for the heads up. I too have been waiting eagerly for Gathercole's book, and I didn't know it was out yet (in fact amazon still has it listed as "not yet released"). I look forward to hearing what you think, and reading it myself.

        ian brown

        PS, what a great summer for Gospel of Thomas people, three new books :)

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 24, 2012

          I’ve just posted my review of the first two chapters here:

          http://judyredman.wordpress.com/2012/03/24/gathercole-on-the-composition-of-thomas-2/

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 28, 2012

            And the next post is now up, here: http://judyredman.wordpress.com/2012/03/29/gathercole-on-the-composition-of-thomas-3/

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2, 2012