Re: [GTh] coptic for weeds or tares at Nag-Hammadi

  • sarban
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 15, 2012

      Thanks Mike

      That is very helpful

      Andrew

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:38 AM
      Subject: Re: [GTh] coptic for weeds or tares at Nag-Hammadi

      Hi Andrew,
      The word is thq a variation of twwqe which is both a noun and a verb.
      As a noun, Lambdin gives its meaning as 'a planting'. As a verb, it has several
      meanings including 'to plant'. In Thomas, forms of the word are used as verbs
      in L39 ("a grapevine has been planted ...") and L63 ("I will put my money to
      use so that I may sow, reap, plant ..."). Sieber's translation of the word as
      'tares' in the NHL version of Zostrianos thus looks rather wide of the mark.
      -Mike