[gthomas] GThomas' date of composition

  • laurac@ix.netcom.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 1999
      Hi, this is Keith.
      First of all I want to say that I appreciate the help that I've gotten thus far about GThomas 44. But I'm still looking for more info. I understand that the examples in the synoptic gospels which put it in context, are of a different nature than cursing, however I'm still looking for anything in the earlier Greek translations that might help, or any evidence to support that GThomas 44 was pulled from the synoptics.(Either by Thomas himself or by a later translator).
      Which brings me to what's in the subject box. If Thomas claimed to have been close to Jesus, and witnessed these sayings firt hand, why do most scholars believe that GThomas was first constructed somewhere between the mid-first and second century? Wouldn't they just assume that he wrote these things down during Jesus' lifetime.

      Does the Papyri Oxyrhynchi 1, 654 & 655 refer to the original Greek fragments found? Does the Nag Hammadi Codex II,2 (The Gospel of Thomas) refer to the complete coptic translation? And if so what is GThomas 2?
      I obviously know very little about GThomas.

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 1999
        At 08:01 PM 04/03/99 -0000, laurac@... wrote:
        >Does the Papyri Oxyrhynchi 1, 654 & 655 refer to the original Greek
        fragments found?

        Yes.

        >Does the Nag Hammadi Codex II,2 (The Gospel of Thomas) refer to the
        complete coptic translation?

        Yes.

        >And if so what is GThomas 2?

        Dunno, unless you're referring to the email group formerly known as 'GThom2'.

        >I obviously know very little about GThomas.

        Stay tuned. Lurk awhile.

        >... I'm still looking for ... any evidence to support that GThomas 44 was
        pulled from the synoptics.

        There is no such evidence. In fact, there's an on-going debate as to
        whether GThom is (partially) dependent on the synoptics, or the other way
        round. We don't know when GThom was originally written.

        >Which brings me to what's in the subject box. If Thomas claimed to have
        been close to Jesus, and witnessed these sayings first hand, why do most
        scholars believe that GThomas was first constructed somewhere between the
        mid-first and second century? Wouldn't they just assume that he wrote these
        things down during Jesus' lifetime?

        Thomas made no such claim. In fact, it's not even clear that Thomas existed
        in the first place. If he did, his name very quickly became symbolic, and
        was used as such. He most certainly did not write GThom. (If he had, he
        would have said of himself "when I returned to MY companions" in #61, not
        "when THOMAS returned to HIS companions".) Thomas is a central figure in
        GThom, but the title should not be taken to mean that he wrote it. Rather,
        those who wrote GThom used the presumed historical figure for their own
        purposes. This was not uncommon at the time.

        Mike
        The Coptic GThomas, saying-by-saying