[gthomas] Re: Fear Not

  • dermarc@usit.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3 7:16 AM
      <3.0.6.32.19990402004937.007c210-@...> wrote:
      Original Article: http://www.egroups.com/list/gthomas/?start=1001
      > The Easter holidays have caused a temporary decrease in the number of
      > messages sent to GThomas. I remember this same thing happening on CrossTalk
      > last year. Teachers, for example, are mostly off on break. This may be a
      > good opportunity for those who don't normally write in (and who are not on
      > break) to make themselves heard. Our membership continues to grow steadily
      > (now in the 80's), so there are large numbers of listmembers who've never
      > posted. Could be a good time to get your questions answered.
      >
      > Mike

      Mike, somewhere I came across a verse from the Gospel of the Ebionites which was similar to a verse in the Gospel of Thomas. How much of this latter gospel survives?

      Thanks

      Steve Allison

    • dermarc@usit.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3 7:18 AM

        > Mike, somewhere I came across a verse from the Gospel of the Ebionites which was similar to a verse in the Gospel of Thomas. How much of this latter gospel survives?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Steve Allison

        Sorry, I meant how much of the G. Ebionites survives.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3 9:18 PM
          Steve Allison wrote:
          >Mike, somewhere I came across a verse from the Gospel of the Ebionites
          >which was similar to a verse in the Gospel of Thomas. How much of this
          >[Gospel of the Ebionites] survives?

          Not much - and nothing at all from a primary source. The assessment of
          Hennecke/Schneemelcher ("New Testament Apocrypha", 1959) is echoed by
          Willis Barnstone ("The Other Bible", 1984):

          "The Gospel of the Ebionites is a gospel harmony preserved in a few
          quotations in the writings of Epiphanius (a church writer who lived at the
          end of the fourth century A.D.). The original title of this gospel is
          unknown. The designation customary today is based on the fact that this was
          the gospel probably used by the Ebionites, a group of Greek-speaking Jewish
          Christians who were prominent thoughout the second and third centuries. ...
          much of the text is a harmony, composed in Greek, of the Gospels of Matthew
          and Luke (and, probably, the Gospel of Mark as well). Although Irenaeus
          (late in the second century) attests to the existence of this gospel, we
          are dependent solely upon the quotations given by Epiphanius for our
          knowledge of the contents of the text." (p.336)

          If you want, I can send you the passages quoted by Epiphanius offlist, but
          I myself don't see anything in them that's any more similar to GThom than
          are the canonical gospels.

          As you may know, there was a great deal of confusion among texts in early
          Xian writings. Someone or other might have quoted something from GThom and
          attributed it to some other source. It may be that the verse you're
          thinking of wasn't from the Gospel of the Ebionites, but from some other
          non-canonical text.

          Mike
          The Coptic GThomas, saying-by-saying