RE: [GTh] Skinner's interview with Simon Gathercole on the Gospel of Thomas

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 16, 2012

      [Judy:] Mike says:

      Yesterday, Chris posted another item of interest, about his forthcoming book

      What Are They Saying About The Gospel of Thomas?:

      I notice that in my note of Jan 22nd on the three forthcoming Thomas books*, I had written

      that the price of Chris' book on Amazon was $10.36. It's now been reduced to $6.40, for

      no apparent reason. I echo Chris' sentiment - it's a steal (I hope he still gets decent royalties

      out of it). I had the pleasure of reading one of the publisher's sets of proofs, and I can tell

      you that, although a short book, it's a fine survey of Thomas scholarship. I'm not an entirely

      disinterested party, since I had a small editing role and my name is mentioned therein, but

      I'm astonished that a Thomas book of this quality is being offered at such a low price.

      [Judy:] I am looking forward to this book (and the ones by Mark Goodacre and Simon Gathercole, of course). I’ve read one or two others in the series and they are very useful overviews of the scholarship in the area. I’m looking forward to receiving my copy in the mail and it’s good to hear that the publishers are now saying that it will be out earlier than anticipated.

      Incidentally, as someone living outside the US and UK, I often find that the Book Depository is a better place to buy than Amazon because while their prices are sometimes a little higher, they include shipping. For example, I would pay $16.38 for Chris’s book from Amazon at standard shipping rates, but only $9.82 from the Book Depository. They are also offering Simon’s book for $72 instead of the $95 which Amazon is currently charging, so even if you live in the US or UK, this is worth checking.

      Judy Redman
      PhD Candidate, School of Humanities
      University of New England
      Armidale 2351 Australia