Re: [GTh] Re: Greek Numbers and the Names of Jesus

    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 14 3:20 PM
      Hi Tim et al,

      How could we all have forgotten ABBA, the Aramaic word for 'father'?
      It appears three times* in the NT:

      Gal 4.6:  "... because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of his
      Son into our hearts, crying, 'Abba! Father!'"

      Rom 8.15: "... you have received a spirit of adoption as sons, by
      which we cry out, 'Abba! Father!'"

      Mk 14.36: "And he was saying, 'Abba! Father! All things are possible for
      you; remove this cup from me; yet not what I will, but what you will.'"

      Seems to me not at all unlikely that this early Christian 'cry' was one of the
      reasons for GosTruth connecting the sheep sound 'BA' to 'the Father' -
      perhaps the major one. The numeric value of BA (3) would then have
      served as reinforcing the validity of that connection in light of the Trinity.

      Mike Grondin
      *translations my loose NASB; in each case, 'father' = PATHR (Coptic 'eiwt')
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 17 11:04 AM
        Judging from lack of response, my last note on this thread appears to have
        satisfactorily concluded our inquiry into GosTruth. It really was quite
        extraordinary that we were able to delve beneath the text to get into the very
        mind of the author! It was surely more difficult for us than it would have been
        for the original readers, since they wouldn't have had the trouble we had
        figuring out what the sheep sound was in their language. Would the word
        'ABBA' also have readily occurred to them (as it didn't to us)? That's a
        question that'll probably always remain a mystery.

        By stumbling on the correct interpretation of the sentence in question, we were also
        able to do something we couldn't do from the Coptic alone, namely to determine
        that the translation "This number [100] signifies the Father" is wrong. It was the
        sheep-sound (BA), not the number 100, that "signifies the Father" (i.e., ABBA).

        As to the number 100, however, I've got a couple final notes. First, I've
        to respond to some suggestions and add something I left out.

        Second, I've revised an image of L.100 originally posted back in July of
        '09 in connection with the message below, but this time explicitly showing
        how it can be transformed into a chiastic structure containing 100 letters:

        This latter may require some explanation. I've believed for some time that
        the designers of Coptic Thomas arranged it so that (1) L.107 (the lost sheep)
        would point to L.100, and (2) L.100 would have a structure appropriate to its
        representing the beloved lost sheep. Back on 7/22/09, I posted this:

        This was followed by an interchange with Rick Hubbard:

        To what I wrote back then, I would now add another couple things:
        (1) One of the reasons for believing that L.107 points to L.100 is that it would
        have taken the reader (like the shepherd) some trouble to find L.100. The sayings
        weren't numbered, so the reader would have had to do that.
        (2) One thing I didn't notice until I put together the image of the transformed L.100
        is that when the N is moved from the end of line 599 to the beginning of line 600,
        line 600 then begins with NN which is a representation of the number 100 (50+50).

        Cheers to all,
        Mike
        *apropos another thread about Chris Skinner's new book, I notice that at the end
        of msg 8872, I welcomed him to the list. He was just moving to Mount Olive, his
        John-Thomas book (on which discussion ensued) then newly out.