Re: [GTh] Re: Greek Numbers and the Names of Jesus

    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 9, 2012
      [Tim]:
      > I'm using Robert M. Grant's translation of the Gospel of
      Truth.
      > There's no verse numbering there, but it is the 18th
      paragraph down.
      > It's at
      href="http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/got.html">http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/got.html

      I see from following this link that the translation is from Grant's Gnosticism,
      (which I don't have), as quoted in Willis Barnstone's The Other Bible (which
      I do happen to have). Checking the Barnstone book, I see that a footnote has
      been left out of the online presentation, which seems to account for the
      differences I saw in two other translations. Where Grant has "This number
      signifies the Father," he adds the following footnote:

      > Literally, "the sign of that which is their sound is: this is the
      Father."

      I don't know what to make of this, but it bears looking into.

      [Mike]:
      > With respect to the number 100 representing "the Father", this accords
      well
      > with what was done with Greek words and names in Coptic Thomas.
      The
      > number of instances of such words and names, and even the total
      number
      > of letters in them, were multiples of 100.

      [Tim]:
      > Awesome! I did not know this. Thanks, Mike.

      Well, if you pass it along to anyone else, please attribute it to me, since I was
      the one who discovered it. Hopefully, it'll be included in a paper I've been
      trying to write for some time now.

      Mike
    • chaptim45
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 10, 2012
        --- "Mike Grondin" <mwgrondin@...> wrote:

        > > Literally, "the sign of that which is their sound is: this is the
        Father."

        > I don't know what to make of this, but it bears looking into.

        Interesting. Perhaps the sound of a sheep or the approximation used in
        Coptic. In Greek, I believe they used "bh" (= 28?) but that is far from 100.

        --- "Mike Grondin" <mwgrondin@...> wrote:
        > Well, if you pass it along to anyone else, please attribute it to me,
        > since I was the one who discovered it. Hopefully, it'll be included
        > in a paper I've been trying to write for some time now.

        I look forward to your paper when it is published. And yes, I will keep your name attached to your work, as is appropriate.

        Tim Staker
        Chaplain, Indianapolis
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 10, 2012
          With respect to Grant's footnote in GosTruth:
          Tim writes:
          > Interesting. Perhaps the sound of a sheep or the approximation used
          in
          > Coptic. In Greek, I believe they used "bh" (= 28?) but that is far
          from 100.
          Well, BH isn't the number 28, or any number at all, actually. (A number can't
          have more than one letter from each tier.) 28 would be KH. As to numeric value,
          BH would have a value of 10 (2+8), which is suggestive, but so is the numeric
          value of BA (2+1=3). I looked into the Egyptian spirit named 'BA', but that doesn't
          seem to fit, so what I'm doing now is transcribing and translating the portion of
          GosTruth in question. I'll let you know when it's done, but at the moment it appears
          that what the author was trying to say wasn't that the number 100 represents the Father,
          but that the shepherd is the Father, and that the letters of the sheep-sound-word
          (whatever that is) somehow indicate that. (Hunch: if there's mention of a triune
          godhead in GosTruth, the sheep-sound-word is probably BA.)

          Thanks,
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 11, 2012
            Hi Tim,

            Sorry to say I've had to give up trying to untangle the GosTruth segment
            in question. I can see why the translations are different there. The only
            thing that's clear to me is that GosTruth does have the standard Christian
            triune godhead - father, son, holy spirit. In the paragraph about the lost
            sheep, it seems to be talking about the Son as shepherd. What's confusing
            is that it talks about the sheep first, then it starts talking about counting.
            Just after it says that the count becomes 100, there's the sentence in question
            about the sign of some sound being somehow associated with 'the Father'.
            Is it going back to the sound of the sheep? Or is it talking about the sound
            of the number 100, which would presumably be that of the letter rho (R)?

            Knowing when I'm licked, I decided to take another crack at a spreadsheet
            showing the Greco-Coptic number system (there's one on my website,
            but it's complicated by the inclusion of font info). File now loaded to:

            See if this is helpful, and/or if there's any mistakes in it.

            Mike
          • chaptim45
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 12, 2012
              Mike,

              Looks like you were up late working on this.  Kudos to you.

              "Mike Grondin" <mwgrondin@...> wrote:

              > What's confusing is that it talks about the sheep first, then it starts talking about counting.
              > Just after it says that the count becomes 100, there's the sentence in question
              > about the sign of some sound being somehow associated with 'the Father'.

              TIM:  Makes me wonder if it is an interpolation by a numerologist.

              > Is it going back to the sound of the sheep? Or is it talking about the sound
              > of the number 100, which would presumably be that of the letter rho (R)?

              TIM: And although "ba" in Greek makes 3, I am pretty sure Greeks thought of the sheep's sound was "bh" (as you indicated is 10).
              Here's two examples that are often cited:

              o d' hliqios wsper probaton bh bh legwn badizei (The fool goes about like a sheep saying "bh bh") Cratinus Frg 43 (in Dionysalexandros)
              and
               thyein me mellei kai keleyei bh legwn badizein  (He is going to sacrifice me, and he tells me to say "bh")  Aristophanes Frg 642

              Of course, there are lots of dissertations written to disprove the "bh" sound (which I think tells us more about the author than the actual material), but these are still two separate sources that allude to using the onomatopoeia for sheep.

              Another translation by Attride MacRae reads: "It is the sign of the one who is *in* their sound; it is the Father."  I put emphasis on the "in", because 10 fits in 100.  I don't have access to the Coptic right now, so you will have to check and see if this is a proper rendering.

              Also, maybe the "sound" may not literally be a noise, but represents something else. In the Gospel of Truth the word "sound" also means the spiritual aspect as opposed to a physical body.  In one place GTruth says,

              "When the Word appeared, the one that is within the heart of those who utter it - it is not a sound alone, but it became a body"

              "Mike Grondin" <mwgrondin@...> wrote:
              > Knowing when I'm licked, I decided to take another crack at a spreadsheet
              > showing the Greco-Coptic number system (there's one on my website,
              > but it's complicated by the inclusion of font info). File now loaded to:

              > See if this is helpful, and/or if there's any mistakes in it.

              TIM: Looks really good to me!  I am assuming that episemon is the same as digamma. Thanks for all your work on the number system.

              Tim Staker
              Chaplain
              Indianapolis
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 12, 2012
                Hi Tim,
                Many thanks for the latest of your thoughtful responses on this topic.

                > ... although "ba" in Greek makes 3, I am pretty sure Greeks
                thought of
                > the sheep's sound was "bh" (as you indicated [has a value
                of] 10).

                I agree with you on this now. In addition to the sources you cite, the vowel in the sheep-
                sound (as I recall it) sounds more like the 'a' in 'bad' than in 'bah', and secondly, I seem
                to recall that Stephen Carlson discussed here some years back that the sound of eta had
                changed over the centuries, and so might have had that sound at that point in time.

                > Another translation, by [Attridge & MacRae?] reads: "It is the
                sign of the one who
                > is *in* their sound; it is the Father." I put emphasis on
                the "in", because 10 fits in 100.

                OK, but try this on for size:
                    1. The 'sign' of the sound BH is a letter representing 10 (the value of BH).
                    2. The letter representing 10 in Greek was 'I', so
                    3. ... 'I' is "the sign of the sound", but
                    4. ... in Roman numerals, 'I' represents the number one, and
                    5. ... the number one represents the Monad, i.e., 'the Father'.

                (Because of their historical situation, there can be little doubt that Coptic writers
                of the time were familiar with Latin as well as Greek.)

                > I don't have access to the Coptic right now, so you will have to
                check and see if this
                > [as above] is a proper rendering.

                Unfortunately, I'm not expert enough to unravel the sentence in question, but I can share
                the Coptic I looked at. Although I do happen to have the Facsimile Edition of Codex I,
                some of the letters are rather illegible, so it seemed best to go from what's shown in
                Attridge's critical edition of Codex I. I don't have that book myself, but it's on Google
                Books, so I found the appropriate page and made an image of it. Now uploaded at:

                Here's the Google Books URL I used, which may or may not work for anyone else:

                [Mike]:

                > See if
                this is helpful, and/or if there's any mistakes in it.
                > (also relevant:

                TIM:
                > Looks really good to me!  I am assuming that episemon is the
                same as digamma.

                Yep, and as I now learn, also 'wau' and 'stigma':

                Whereas it was originally called wau, its most common appellation in classical Greek is digamma,
                while in its numeral function it was called episēmon during the Byzantine era. Today the numeral
                sign is often called stigma, after the value of a Byzantine Greek ligature ... which shares the same
                shape and was used as a textual ligature in Greek print until the 19th century.

                > Thanks for all your work on the number system.

                Well, I won't say that it hasn't been tedious at times, making charts and all,
                but it's satisfying in the end, because it feels like something that needs doing.

              • Stephen Carlson
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 12, 2012
                  On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 7:33 PM, Mike Grondin <mwgrondin@...> wrote:
                  > ... although "ba" in Greek makes 3, I am pretty sure Greeks thought of
                  > the sheep's sound was "bh" (as you indicated [has a value of] 10).

                  I agree with you on this now. In addition to the sources you cite, the vowel in the sheep-
                  sound (as I recall it) sounds more like the 'a' in 'bad' than in 'bah', and secondly, I seem
                  to recall that Stephen Carlson discussed here some years back that the sound of eta had
                  changed over the centuries, and so might have had that sound at that point in time.

                  Yes, according to W. Sidney Allen's study of Greek pronunciation, the sound of eta evolved over the centuries, from the vowel in English "bad" (pre-6th cen. BCE), to "bed" (5th cen. BCE) to "bade" (2nd ce, BCE) to "bead" (2nd cen. CE), its modern value.  Other researchers tend to push these changes earlier.

                  Stephen
                  --
                  Stephen C. Carlson
                  Graduate Program in Religion
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 12, 2012
                    At 05:47 PM 2/12/2012, Stephen Carlson wrote:

                    On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 7:33 PM, Mike Grondin <mwgrondin@...> wrote:
                    > ... although "ba" in Greek makes 3, I am pretty sure Greeks thought of
                    > the sheep's sound was "bh" (as you indicated [has a value of] 10).

                    I agree with you on this now. In addition to the sources you cite, the vowel in the sheep-
                    sound (as I recall it) sounds more like the 'a' in 'bad' than in 'bah', and secondly, I seem
                    to recall that Stephen Carlson discussed here some years back that the sound of eta had
                    changed over the centuries, and so might have had that sound at that point in time.

                    Yes, according to W. Sidney Allen's study of Greek pronunciation, the sound of eta evolved over the centuries, from the vowel in English "bad" (pre-6th cen. BCE), to "bed" (5th cen. BCE) to "bade" (2nd ce, BCE) to "bead" (2nd cen. CE), its modern value. ...

                    Who among us has been around sheep (and lambs) very much? I used to be in proximity to them for much of my fieldwork, but that was decades ago. However, as I recall the sound, one should not attempt to confine the bleating of sheep to just one vowel sound. I am pretty sure that I heard the 'a' as both bad and bah. The difference may have been in age, with lambs tending towards the 'a' in bad, but older sheep towards the 'a' in bah (would that be a "schwa", BTW?) The point being that it is OK for the metaphor if there is some ambiguity in the vowel quality. However, I should never be confused with an expert in sheep phonology.

                    Bob Schacht
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 12, 2012
                      Based on what Stephen and Bob wrote, 'BA' is back in the picture. One thing
                      we've left out of account, though, is how the Copts would have pronounced
                      the letter-groups under consideration. According to both Layton's and Lambdin's
                      grammars (the latter with some hesitation), 'BH' would have been pronounced
                      <bay> in Coptic. They differ on how 'BA' would have been pronounced, but
                      both are within the range of a sheep-sound: according to Lambdin, it would
                      have sounded like <bah>, as in Greek, while for Layton the Coptic 'A' sound
                      was like the 'a' of 'bad'.

                      Is it plausible that the author of GosTruth would have regarded 'the Father'
                      as triune? Seems so. On p.24 of Codex I, we find this (Attridge/MacRae tr.):

                      "The Father reveals his bosom - Now his bosom is the Holy Spirit. -
                      He reveals what is hidden of him - what is hidden of him is his Son ..."

                      Mike G.
                    • chaptim45
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 14, 2012

                        We've been talking about Greek, but I've also been trying to find the onomatapaeia  for the sound of sheep in Coptic, which may be different than Greek.  I have not been successful. The closest I've come is the sound for a donkey. In a book on Apuleius' Golden Ass, I found a footnote that states that

                        `ia' or `io'  is Coptic onomatopoeia for hee haw. And `hwhw' was demotic for "bray".  (Source:  Auctor and Actor, by John J. Winkler, p315 footnote).

                        I just thought some folks would like to know.

                        As for the Gospel of Truth, I have to agree with Mike that the passage sure sounds trinitarian.

                        I like the Gospel of Truth's version of the lost sheep because it includes the notion that the sheep fell into a pit, something that is not found in the parallel stories in the canonical gospels-- or in Thomas L107, where it would have fit very well with the idea of the shepherd having to "toil" to retrieve the wayward sheep.

                        Tim Staker

                        Chaplain, Indianapolis

                      • Bob Schacht
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 14, 2012
                          At 08:09 AM 2/14/2012, chaptim45 wrote:

                          We've been talking about Greek, but I've also been trying to find the onomatapaeia  for the sound of sheep in Coptic, which may be different than Greek.  I have not been successful. The closest I've come is the sound for a donkey. In a book on Apuleius' Golden Ass, I found a footnote that states that

                          `ia' or `io'  is Coptic onomatopoeia for hee haw. And `hwhw' was demotic for "bray".  (Source:  Auctor and Actor, by John J. Winkler, p315 footnote).
                          Have you ever heard a donkey bray? Sounds like a rusty and very loud water pump. I would render it somewhat like

                          HAW--EE-HAW--EE--HAW...etc. The "EE" sounded like it might have been on inhaling, while the HAW was on the exhale. On my first trip overseas, on my first archaeology dig, in the first week on site, I was awakened early one morning by that racket, but could not see the donkey in question. A caller on Click and Clack claimed it was the sound of an "amorous" donkey, but I never saw a donkey bray while engaged in amorous activity.

                          I seem to be becoming this list's expert on barnyard sounds. Surely some of you have equal or different or better experience!

                          Bob Schacht
                          Northern Arizona University

                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 14, 2012
                            Hi Tim et al,

                            How could we all have forgotten ABBA, the Aramaic word for 'father'?
                            It appears three times* in the NT:

                            Gal 4.6:  "... because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of his
                            Son into our hearts, crying, 'Abba! Father!'"

                            Rom 8.15: "... you have received a spirit of adoption as sons, by
                            which we cry out, 'Abba! Father!'"

                            Mk 14.36: "And he was saying, 'Abba! Father! All things are possible for
                            you; remove this cup from me; yet not what I will, but what you will.'"

                            Seems to me not at all unlikely that this early Christian 'cry' was one of the
                            reasons for GosTruth connecting the sheep sound 'BA' to 'the Father' -
                            perhaps the major one. The numeric value of BA (3) would then have
                            served as reinforcing the validity of that connection in light of the Trinity.

                            Mike Grondin
                            *translations my loose NASB; in each case, 'father' = PATHR (Coptic 'eiwt')
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 17, 2012
                              Judging from lack of response, my last note on this thread appears to have
                              satisfactorily concluded our inquiry into GosTruth. It really was quite
                              extraordinary that we were able to delve beneath the text to get into the very
                              mind of the author! It was surely more difficult for us than it would have been
                              for the original readers, since they wouldn't have had the trouble we had
                              figuring out what the sheep sound was in their language. Would the word
                              'ABBA' also have readily occurred to them (as it didn't to us)? That's a
                              question that'll probably always remain a mystery.

                              By stumbling on the correct interpretation of the sentence in question, we were also
                              able to do something we couldn't do from the Coptic alone, namely to determine
                              that the translation "This number [100] signifies the Father" is wrong. It was the
                              sheep-sound (BA), not the number 100, that "signifies the Father" (i.e., ABBA).

                              As to the number 100, however, I've got a couple final notes. First, I've
                              to respond to some suggestions and add something I left out.

                              Second, I've revised an image of L.100 originally posted back in July of
                              '09 in connection with the message below, but this time explicitly showing
                              how it can be transformed into a chiastic structure containing 100 letters:

                              This latter may require some explanation. I've believed for some time that
                              the designers of Coptic Thomas arranged it so that (1) L.107 (the lost sheep)
                              would point to L.100, and (2) L.100 would have a structure appropriate to its
                              representing the beloved lost sheep. Back on 7/22/09, I posted this:

                              This was followed by an interchange with Rick Hubbard:

                              To what I wrote back then, I would now add another couple things:
                              (1) One of the reasons for believing that L.107 points to L.100 is that it would
                              have taken the reader (like the shepherd) some trouble to find L.100. The sayings
                              weren't numbered, so the reader would have had to do that.
                              (2) One thing I didn't notice until I put together the image of the transformed L.100
                              is that when the N is moved from the end of line 599 to the beginning of line 600,
                              line 600 then begins with NN which is a representation of the number 100 (50+50).

                              Cheers to all,
                              Mike
                              *apropos another thread about Chris Skinner's new book, I notice that at the end
                              of msg 8872, I welcomed him to the list. He was just moving to Mount Olive, his
                              John-Thomas book (on which discussion ensued) then newly out.