On Th.27

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2012
      Th.27 provides an example of how knowledge of the numerical design of
      Coptic Thomas would impact our analysis of it. We've talked before about
      the fact that Th.27 in the P.Oxy. fragments has 'Kingdom of God', while
      Coptic Thomas has simply 'Kingdom'. That much is probably redaction. But
      it's also the case that the P.Oxy. version has 'Jesus said' and CGTh doesn't.
      If called upon the explain this discrepancy, one might normally say that it was
      perhaps due to scribal fatigue, i.e., that the Coptic scribe was so tired of
      writing 'Jesus said' that he inadvertantly skipped over that on this one. If the
      analyst, however, is aware of the fact that the number of Jesus name-tokens
      in the Coptic manuscript was limited to 105, a new explanation becomes possible -
      namely that there simply weren't enough Jesus name-tokens to cover every saying,
      and Th.27 is likely one that suffered as a result.