Monks in Thomas

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2012
      Having received an offlist note from a non-subscriber yesterday questioning the
      meaning of monaxos in GTh, I thought I'd share my response, as well as give
      notice that I've added to the related entry on my keywords page (see below).

      According to the American Heritage Dictionary, the word 'monk' comes
      "... from Late Greek monakhos, solitary, monk, from Greek monos, alone."

      Monakhos is presumably monaxos, as in Coptic Thomas (but not extant in the
      Greek fragments of GTh, nor in the NT, if my quick check is correct.) Monaxos
      appears three times in CGTh, and is evidently equivalent to the Coptic phrase
      oua ouwt, which also appears three times. The equivalence is made particularly
      clear in L16.4 and L23.2, which are the same word-for-word except that the one
      has monaxos while the other has oua ouwt.

      Mike Grondin
      Mt. Clemens, MI