[gthomas] No Subject

  • laurac@ix.netcom.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 1999
      Hi, my name is Keith
      I'm looking for someone who can alleviate my fears regarding
      passage 44 (the one about blasphemy against the wholy spirit). A long
      time ago I committed this sin and now it worries me. I know that in
      Mark and Matthew it WAS NOT in the context of cursing or swearing, but
      it still bothers me. It surprised me when I saw it in the GThomas,
      because the rest of the book seems very non judgemental. It seems to be
      talking about enlightenment, not forgiveness or condemnation. It's as
      though it just didn't belong. Do you know anyone who has special insight
      as to how or why passage 44 was included, or how it's meant to be
      translated. What I'm really looking for is someone who can help give me
      a very precise translation (from the Greek)of what I consider to be it's
      original source: Mark 3:29.

      THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ME, CAN ANYONE HELP.

    • Ananda Hotai
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3, 1999
        >From: laurac@...
        >To: gthomas@egroups.com
        >Subject: [gthomas] No Subject
        >Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 22:56:11 -0000
        >

        >Hi, my name is Keith
        > I'm looking for someone who can alleviate my fears regarding
        >passage 44 (the one about blasphemy against the wholy spirit). A long
        >time ago I committed this sin and now it worries me. I know that in
        >Mark and Matthew it WAS NOT in the context of cursing or swearing, but
        >it still bothers me. It surprised me when I saw it in the GThomas,
        >because the rest of the book seems very non judgemental. It seems to be
        >talking about enlightenment, not forgiveness or condemnation. It's as
        >though it just didn't belong. Do you know anyone who has special
        insight
        >as to how or why passage 44 was included, or how it's meant to be
        >translated. What I'm really looking for is someone who can help give me
        >a very precise translation (from the Greek)of what I consider to be
        it's
        >original source: Mark 3:29.
        >
        >THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ME, CAN ANYONE HELP.

        I am 99.9999% sure you didn't do what you accuse yourself of doing, as I
        am just as reasonably sure that like the rest of the worldly oriented,
        you don't know what the passage really means. No offense.

      • Steve Ybarra
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 9, 1999
          I would be very pleased to join you list. I look forward to our exchange.

          Steve

        • Wynn Manners
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 11, 1999
            Has anyone posting at this list seen a copy of LOGIA IESOU: SAYINGS
            OF OUR LORD FROM AN EARLY GREEK PAPYRUS (1897) as translated by Bernard P.
            Grenfell?

            i see it listed in the Kessinger catalog--but at 20 pages for $8.95
            (PLUS $6.00 postage & handling)--one has to query whether it's really
            WORTH that kind of cost, per page, to peruse it!

            Is this that earlier find of a few pages of what we now call "The Gospel
            According To Thomas"?

            Has the Grenfell translation of "this leaf from a papyrus book written
            about 150 a.d" been put on the Web, anywheres?

            If it *does* duplicate sayings from what we call "The Gospel According To
            Thomas" is there sufficient variation in version or translation to merit
            comparing?

            If anyone can illumine me, on this, Many Thanks!

            ~wynn manners