Re: [GTh] GofT 37 - the Return from the Fall?

  • richfaussette
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 13, 2012
      --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Grondin" <mwgrondin@...> wrote:

      > [Rich]:
      > > The important question is where does the fall in Genesis come from.
      > > The self sacrifice would ... have come [from] the Vedas and traveled
      > > southeast with the indo-iranians as they exited the steppe and ...
      > > was then authorized by Cyrus as part of the torah in genesis 3:6-7.
      >
      > [Mike]:
      > > But ... by your own account, it's not "self-sacrifice" that's in Genesis,
      > > but the opposite of it (perhaps "realization of the physical self"?)
      >
      > [Rich]:
      > > Yes, the advent of self consciousness ... is the +self of Genesis.
      >
      > So then the fall in Genesis didn't come from the Vedas, as you claimed?
      >
      > Mike

      Hi Mike,
      No, that's not quite what I claimed.
      The self sacrifice is first seen in the Vedas; our oldest religious texts. Agni is charged by the gods to bring the self-sacrifice to Man. He tries to avoid it but eventually relents and dons robes of fire (self immolates(-self)).

      The situation that created the need for a self sacrifice is in Genesis told by a later author for another audience who does not describe the self sacrifice in the person of a Vedic God but explains its origin in Man's gaining the knowledge of good and evil and abandoning instinctive behavior.
      The self sacrifice itself is then described in the same allegorical terms as Genesis in the GofT logion 37 by reversing the elements of the formula in Genesis to change the Fall into a Return.

      Regards,
      Rich Faussette