Monthly Report for Oct, 2011

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2011
      Despite a lively discussion about Th58 initiated by George Duffy, October was
      another sub-par month for us, with but 16 postings, six of which were mine.
      This compares with an adjusted average October of 42, and a goal of 45.
      For the year, we're running 240 messages, lower than any 10-month period
      in the previous 8 years.

      Our thanks to George (5 messages) and others who contributed this past month:
      Bob Schacht for 2 postings, Andrew Criddle, Chris Skinner, and Tim Staker
      (1 each).

      On a separate matter, we discovered in October that we had a problem with
      Yahoogroups dating back to the end of August. Five members with yahoo.com
      email addresses were placed into "bouncing" status at that time, and haven't
      received messages from us or any YG group since, evidently due to a glitch at YG.
      We've been reinstating these members, but rather slowly, since YG allows only one
      reinstatement request per 24 hours. I wrote to these folks, informing them of the
      situation, but received no response - which leads me to suspect that they and/or other
      folks with a yahoo.com address might be using it as a dead-drop box. That's discouraging,
      since we've tried to minimize the percentage of no-email members, only to now question
      our assumption that folks who receive email (at yahoo.com, anyway) actually read it.

      As near as I can figure, we have maybe two dozen contributors, which is only
      about 10% of our membership. Another 35% or so are non-email, so I assume
      (based on my own memberships in various groups) that most (though not all)
      of them rarely if ever peruse our postings. That leaves about 55% that we never hear
      from, which isn't at all unusual for an email group, but I do wish there were some way
      to get a rough estimate of those who actually read the stuff, and weed out those that
      don't - especially since it isn't necessary to be a member in order to read group
      postings.

      M.Grondin
    • Bob Schacht
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2011
        At 02:52 PM 11/3/2011, Mike Grondin wrote:
        ...I wrote to these folks, informing them of the
        situation, but received no response - which leads me to suspect that they and/or other
        folks with a yahoo.com address might be using it as a dead-drop box....

        Yahoo does spam filtering, unless you tell it not to. But it keeps all your spam in a junk mailbox. To see what is in it, sign on to Yahoo on the web and go to Yahoo Mail. Look at the left sidebar for a section labelled "Folders." One of your folders will be a spam folder. Open that and check the file for messages that you wanted. Yahoo provides several ways of telling it that this message is NOT spam and that you wanted it sent with other mail being forwarded. However, I subscribe to one of Yahoo's mail forwarding services, so your Yahoo window may be different. Nevertheless, I think Yahoo screens the mail sent to your yahoo address with a spam filter, too. It's supposed to be a "smart" filter, so you can teach it which messages are not spam by marking the messages you wanted as "not spam". It is a good idea to check your Yahoo spam folder at least once a month.

        Bob Schacht
        Northern Arizona University