9603Re: [GTh] Christological Peculiarities

  • Jack Kilmon
    Oct 1, 2010

      Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2010 5:40 PM
      Subject: Re: [GTh] Christological Peculiarities

      Hi Rick,
      I would date the Gospel of Thomas very early, likely around 43 A.D.  To answer your 2nd question there is evidence that Paul had read the Gospel of Thomas.
      For example, The following saying from Gospel of Thomas was paraphrased by Paul:   "Jesus said, ‘I will give you what no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, what no hand has touched, what has not arisen in the human heart.

      Paul writes, ’ But, as it is written, ‘What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the human heart conceived, what God has prepared for those who love him’--1 Cor 2:9
      It is obvious then that Thomas preceded Paul.   Wouldn't you think that correct?

      Here is a link with more explanation that you might be interested to read.
      In friendship,
      Ariadne Green

      The NH Gospel of Thomas is a list of "Jesus saids..." some of them genuine (in some form) to Jesus but most either edited or invented for an Ascetic or Gnostic agenda.  Even the Canonicals alter or invent "Jesus stuff."   Dating any early Christian writing is difficult.  More likely, since Jesus did not really say this, Paul uses the formula "It is written..." which is used when scripture was being quoted or paraphrased, in this case Isaiah 64:4.  Sayings in Thomas that are actually genuine to Jesus could have been written down by a literate disciple anytime between the active ministry of Jesus (27-30 CE?) or passed down in oral tradition.

      I have a somewhat maverick position on the origin of the GoT which is known to some of my friends on this list.  In short, I believe the GoT got its start from a notebook of Mark's and that Mark, instead of USING Thomas when he cites Logia  2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, 20, 21, 31, 33, 35, 41, 44, 45, 47, 48, 62, 64, 66, 100, actually WROTE Thomas (in its proto-Thomas from).  If I am correct, however, there is still no possible way to date when reed was taken to papyrus or parchment, certainly not as precise as your 43 CE.

      Best Regards,

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      San Antonio, TX