9602Re: [GTh] Christological Peculiarities

  • Richard Hubbard
    Oct 1, 2010
      ARIADNE: Paul writes, ' But, as it is written, 'What no eye has seen,
      nor ear heard, nor the human heart conceived, what God has prepared for
      those who love him'--1 Cor 2:9 It is obvious then that Thomas preceded
      Paul. Wouldn't you think that correct?

      RICK: Although I am open to the possibility that at least some elements
      of the Gospel of Thomas may be "early", I'm quite a ways from agreeing
      that the presence of this particular wording in both Thomas and Paul can
      be construed as irrefutable evidence that Thomas preceded Paul or,
      especially, that Thomas had read Paul's correspondence. Quite similar
      verbiage exists elsewhere, as Chris points out in his blog. It seems to
      me that the only thing we can say with confidence is that L. 17 is
      preceded both the composition of Thomas and Paul's letters. Moreover, it
      seems to me that Paul's introduction, "as it is written", is pretty well
      accepted evidence that he is alluding to Isaiah. One could wonder then,
      if Paul knew that text, why would it have not been equally possible that
      the version of it in Thomas did not also derive from Isaiah? So, in a
      few words, "No, I don't think it is 'obvious that Thomas preceded
      Paul'."

      ARIADNE: I would date the Gospel of Thomas very early, likely around 43
      A.D.

      RICK: Again, this is a conclusion that others have argued for but,
      again, I'm not convinced that such a conclusion is completely
      defensible. As I've tried to say over, and Over and OVER is that the
      Gospel of Thomas as we have it is almost certainly a composite
      manuscript. The manuscript itself dates toward the end of the fourth
      century. It's central character, Jesus, dates at least 350 years earlier
      and Greek progenitors of the Coptic text (the Poxy fragments) post-date
      Jesus' presumed execution by several decades. It is impossible, ISTM, to
      imagine that the text as we have it did not undergo substantial revision
      and updating to accommodate "new information" consistent with changed
      understandings about Jesus and what he said (here I like to quote what I
      call the Jack Kilmon Dictum: "Don't forget these texts have been highly
      screwed around with"). To try to assign a "date" to a text that is
      likely to have been so heavily redacted is the height of bravery.

      Rick Hubbard