9250RE: {Disarmed} RE: [GTh] Parable of the Wicked Tenants (L65)

    Apr 4, 2010
      Yesterday I retrieved the 5 volumes of the CGL from the library and spent
      the evening combing through the indices in search of places where XRHSTHS
      appears in the Nag Hammadi corpus. Frankly, I was not too surprised that it
      did not appear in any of the indices. By contrast however, the word XRHSTOS
      is well represented throughout the collection both in the general sense of
      "good person" and as a Proper Noun.

      As both Judy and Mike have pointed out (and as I have previously admitted)
      the absence of the word is not conclusive. Still, in my mind at least, the
      **probability** that the word XRHSTHS is the proper reading in L 65 is
      remote, to put it politely.

      "Determining probability" is a function of statistics, and I make no claims
      to being any sort of statistician, but I have spent a good amount of time
      consulting studies that examine the use of words in the GNT from a
      statistical perspective (useful, primarily, as a tool for answering
      questions of authorship). The methodology behind these inquiries is not
      without criticism, but with the correct set of data inputs and a
      well-controlled data set, it seems possible to generate a set of empirical
      numbers indicating high and low ranges of probability for the occurrence of
      any given word. I therefore attribute a high degree of credibility to this
      sort of research.

      The problem here, of course is that neither data inputs (lemmatized word
      lists) or control sets (groups of generically similar texts) exist for the
      Nag Hammadi corpus (so far as such things are available to the general
      public anyway). It is likely that *if** such data were available we could
      make some quantitative estimate of the likelihood that the reading in
      question is XRHSTHS or XRHSTOS. Given the current state of research,
      however, that analysis remains unavailable, and so what we are left with is
      a subjective (gut-hunch) judgment.

      For now, then, I'll continue to go with my gut hunch that the XRHSTHS is
      just shy of pure fantasy (to put it less politely).

      Rick

      Of
      ||Richard Hubbard
      ||Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 7:58 AM
      ||To: gthomas@yahoogroups.com
      ||Subject: RE: {Disarmed} RE: [GTh] Parable of the Wicked Tenants (L65)
      ||Yep, frustration and inconclusiveness. That pretty well describes most of
      what I do
      ||but, as they say, the journey is no less important than the destination.
      In any case, this
      ||little expedition will give me a chance to make some photo copies of some
      of the
      ||indices for another frustrating and dubiously conclusive project I'm
      working on.