8924Monthly Report for August

    Sep 2, 2009
      There were 29 messages posted to GThomas during August.
      An average of one per day isn't bad, but it is significantly lower
      than our adjusted 2001-08 average for August, which is almost
      2 per day. Nevertheless, the annual projection still looks good.
      Based on 345 messages over an 8-month period, we're averaging
      43 messages per month, which projects out to an annual total of
      516, versus our adjusted 2001-08 average annual total of 518.

      Our benchmark group XTalk had a horrible month. Only two
      messages appeared there, resulting in our year-to-date total
      moving further ahead of theirs, 345 to 307. Nevertheless, we
      take no comfort in this. We'd rather our sister group be robust
      than that we look better because of her weakness. Hopefully,
      it's temporary. They have had two very good months this year.

      A statistic I haven't compiled previously is the number of messages
      that I've personally sent. Of the 29 in August, 17 of them were mine.
      Over 50%. And that's not unusual. This is not good. What it means
      is that our well-being as a group is much more fragile than the overall
      numbers suggest. It's not that I send too many messages, but that
      other members send too few. This group was never intended to be
      my personal blog. Is that what it's turning into? Membership at 280,
      and only a handful of contributors? I'd rather have a tenth of the
      membership with half of them active than what we have now. Frankly,
      it's embarassing when we try to promote a program like the current
      one with Skinner and we get very little participation. Is this once-proud
      group now nothing but a hollow shell waiting for the slightest nudge to
      crumble into dust? And if one is tempted to say that it's part of the
      general demise of e-lists, one would have to explain why it is that
      the e-list Biblical-Studies prospers so well that we daren't make it
      our benchmark, while Andrew B's fine blog gospels.net gets almost
      no comments.

      Mike Grondin