8839RE: [GTh] Re: "Hymn of the Pearl" posts

  • Scavone, Daniel C
    Jun 19 10:23 AM
      THANK YOU AGAIN, ROGER!

      Actually I found that the story of Edessa wiped-on face was the source for the Veronica legends.
      Edessa'a face image was real, was copied a lot, and was claimed in Constantinople and elsewhere as the model for their own iconic frontal faces of Jesus for centuries.
      Also I found that one Makarios of Magnesia (ca. A.D. 400) identifies her as a princess of Edessa ( Crafer, T.W. The Apocriticus of Macarius Magnes (New York: Macmillan, 1919), p. 31).

      Moses of Khorene (ca. 5th to 8th c.) even goes so far as to name her as Abgar's queen (von Dobsch├╝tz, Christusbilder, 1899, p. 114).

      I'm still hoping to hear what the members of the list may think of the notion that the "alter-ego" of the folded Edessa cloth, apparently a larger full-body image of Jesus's burial cloth later sent to Constantinople, unfolded, and recognized as such, may be that which is being described by the expression "mirror-image" ("twin" of Jesus's body) in the Hymn of the Pearl.

      Thanks for going with me on this quest.

      Dan Scavone