8797Re: [GTh] Monthly Report for May

  • Bob Schacht
    Jun 1, 2009
      At 09:07 AM 6/1/2009, Michael Grondin wrote:

      >Thanks to Stephen Carlson, the 36 messages posted to our list in
      >May was higher than the preceding six years - but we still lost ground
      >to XTalk, which had a huge month of 111 messages. (Five month
      >totals = our 218 to their 269.) XTalk's May was similar to our February
      >(where we had 120 messages). In both cases, the large volume
      >was sparked by one hyperactive contributor. In fact, the XTalk
      >contributor in question posted more messages in May than our
      >entire list! This is not to disparage such individual activity, but
      >to indicate that such months are unusual.
      >
      >What most concerns me is that the number of active contributors
      >to the list remains too low. I suspect that the basic reasons for this
      >are our relatively limited focus and a declining degree of attention
      >paid to this type of forum, but whatever the basic reasons, we still
      >have almost 280 members (with almost no dead addresses, unlike
      >other lists which never cull those out), so if but a few more of our
      >subscribers could be enticed (or jolted) out of absolute lurker-mode
      >from time to time, I think we'd be better off. Of course, a lurker level
      >of around 90% is pretty standard, but still, a few active contributors
      >makes a big difference.

      Mike,
      My experience, with about 10 years on XTalk , etc., is that there's nothing
      like a good question to increase participation. Go back and take a look at
      those busy months, and look for the spark that set the discussion in
      motion. IIRC, you used to be a pretty good instigator, yourself. :-)

      Bob Schacht
      Hawaii