8267RE: [GTh] Re: Thomas vs Synoptics

    Oct 5, 2008
      Hi Maurice,

      Wikipedia (which in this case is quite reliable) says
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farrer_hypothesis):

      "The Farrer theory (also called the Farrer-Goulder hypothesis) is a possible
      solution to the synoptic problem. The theory is that the Gospel of Mark was
      written first, followed by the Gospel of Matthew and then by the Gospel of
      Luke.

      "It has mainly been advocated by English biblical scholars. It is named for
      Austin Farrer, who wrote _On Dispensing With Q_ in 1955, but it has been
      picked up by other scholars including Michael Goulder and Mark Goodacre.

      "The Farrer theory has the advantage of simplicity, as there is no need for
      hypothetical sources to be created by academics. Instead, advocates of the
      Farrer theory argue, the Gospel of Mark was used as source material by the
      author of Matthew. Lastly, Luke used both of the previous gospels as sources
      for his Gospel."

      And if you are interested in a summary of the multiplicity of theories about
      the sources of the gospels, you can visit Stephen Carlson's blog which has
      colour-coded summaries, complete with diagrams.

      http://www.hypotyposeis.org/synoptic-problem/2004/09/overview-of-proposed-so
      lutions.html

      Incidentally, whilst searching for something succinct on google, I came
      across a site that offers the following:

      "For over seven years, our Farrer Hypothesis term paper experts have helped
      university students worldwide by providing the most extensive, lowest-priced
      service for Farrer Hypothesis thesis papers and research paper writing.
      Regardless of your deadline, budget, specifications, or academic level, we
      can provide immediate help for your Farrer Hypothesis essay, term paper,
      book report, research paper, dissertation, thesis, or university
      coursework."
      (http://www.essaytown.com/topics/farrer_hypothesis_essays_papers.html)

      Rev Judy Redman
      Uniting Church Chaplain